Old model base pin...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Will a OM base pin for a 30 cal carbine model Blackhawk fit a OM .41 Mag Blackhawk?

Thanks

Any suggested source for a OM base pin for the .41 mag? My base pin is rough and sticky but I am not going to mess with it until I secure a replacement.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
They are both made on the large frame therefore the length is the same. And all blackhawks have the same 1/4" diameter pin.

Ebay and the classified ads on this forum.

However, check pin in the cyl for freedom of movement out of the gun and in the frame w/o cyl installed to see which it is sticking in. Look for burrs on the pin and on the openings in the frame and both ends of the cyl.

And a quick polishing of the pin will usually do the trick.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I've 'polished' a cyl. pin on my drill press with some emery cloth.... worked great for me.

J.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
Found the Belt Mountain site. Going to order one of those. The original pin seems pretty rough. It was an old, abused gun that has been fitted with a steel grip frame, a wide trigger, and refinished. Afraid to just start polishing the pin without a backup in hand because I can see me going too far. That is my nature, I think.

Thanks for all the replies.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
It's hard to polish it too far. You don't have to polish out every ding, scratch or dent. Use 2000 grit paper. Just polish it a bit and try it often, the upper surface just needs to be level and smooth, not shiny.

I agree, it is pretty tough to screw one of them up,,,we NEVER lost, destroyed, over did any Ruger center pin, even the ones we had to POUND Out of any old 'rusted up', in a flood, or fire gun............ 8) :roll: :wink:

..........hundreds of them over the years :shock:

..."and so it goes... "RIP Wil Terry :wink:

I've occasionally used 0000 steel wool to polish stubborn base pins. I don't spin the pin with a drill or anything like that, just "scour" the pin by hand with a little wad of the steel wool and some gun oil.

You do NOT want to reduce the diameter of the pin, just make it slick and smooth.

JMHO :D

Latest posts