Blued grip frame screws. Touching them up?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

George

Blackhawk
Just wondering. I replaced a grip frame not long ago and a few of the screws lost their finish. I didn't really booger the screws as I used Gunsmithing screwdrivers. Just seems the finish doesn't hold up that well on those screws
are out of a blued 2002 Ruger Vaquero.

Figured I'd mention the year didn't know if the screws were finish differently like powder coating or something.

Was thinking of dabbing them with some black semi-gloss paint. But thought there may be a better way so I'm asking! Thanks for your input! George

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Best touch up is a good cold blue. Always heat the screws with a hair dryer until they're too hot to touch. Apply bluing 2 or 3 times, heating the screws each time. Coat with gun oil and install.

Screws are all the same regardless of the model. But bluing does vary from the factory: some dull blue, some glossy blue. Depends on how polished the screw heads are. If you want the screws a glossy blue, fine sand and then polish the heads before touching up.

tyler4656

Blackhawk
I these are very nice revolvers. I think the last thing you should do is touch up screwheads with cold blue. It will not go the distance and will never be perfect. Throw them in a small padded envelope send them over to me I'll be glad to blue and send them back to you at no charge.
Tyler Gun Works
1507 West 5th street
Friona Texas 79035

George

Blackhawk
Hello mr. Tyler, sorry I didn't respond to this sooner but I never really get on my computer and try to keep up with the boards on my phone! I thank you so much for your offer on blueing my grip frame screws I appreciate it immensely! However I am not feeling very well and have not been. It may take me some time before I can get to them so I can get them off the gun. If I decide to send them I will send this correspondents along with a note! Again thank you so much for this very kind offer! George

Johnnu2

Hunter
+1 for Mr. Tyler.... another example of the fine folk on this forum

And another +1 for our buddy Hondo44 who is always on the money....

Our thanks,

J.

Latest posts