GUNSMITHING ADJUSTABLE SIGHTS ONTO A VAQUERO

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
I have 2 Custom Stainless Ruger Bisley Vaquero in 45 Colt with 4&5/8 barrels. Life kept me away for 5 years but it seems I remember posts with adjustable sights added to vaqueros years ago. Would love to see some pictures if anyone has a picture. If I liked the way they look after installation I think I would like to have adjustable sights added to both of mine. If you have the names and contact information of a smith that did a great job for you I would appreciate their contact information. Any thoughts, suggestions, pictures, or advice is greatly appreciated and I thank you in advance if you provide any guidance. I would also like to have an idea of approximate cost per revolver. God bless all of you and THANK YOU LORD for YOUR sacrifice celebrated tomorrow Easter Sunday 2021!

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome back!!!!!!

And "Happy Easter!"

I don't have any guns like you asked about,, but I too have seen pictures. if my faded memory is correct, they used S&W rear sights for this conversion.

Enigma

Hunter
IIRC, rear sights (S&W style) made by David Clements were the choice for these conversions. Mr. Clements is semi-retired now, and I don't know if the rear sights are still available or not. I guess you could ask him:

http://www.clementscustomguns.com/home.html

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
Howdy Contender! Thank you. I had a great Easter Sunday and I hope you did as well!

Thank you Enigma!

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
Enigma said:
IIRC, rear sights (S&W style) made by David Clements were the choice for these conversions. Mr. Clements is semi-retired now, and I don't know if the rear sights are still available or not. I guess you could ask him:

http://www.clementscustomguns.com/home.html

Thank you Enigma! I spoke with Mr Clements this morning. I wanted to get a pair of vaqueros done but he only had one S&W sight left and said he can't get the screws anymore however Mr Clements is going to do one vaquero for me.
Thanks again!

princeout

Blackhawk
Here's a Vaquero in 45 Colt built by Ben Forkin. Octagon barrel, S&W style sights, long cylinder, Turnbull CCH and Fishpaw musk ox grips.

Tim

qX6swvW.jpg

r86Zi0C.jpg

GA Cracker

Blackhawk
Wow Princeout that's super nice much like a beautiful woman, my fiance, I look at in awe and can't keep my eyes off her and want to hold all the time! Thank you for sharing. I know you are proud of that Bisley!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The Clement sight is a nice low profile, sleek look. And although it doesn't have screw click adjustments, once the sight is adjusted to the gun, how many times do you need to adjust it after that.

My only objection is cosmetic with the front end of the sight tang; the bent tang and the old sight groove sticking out from under. The neater installations have the front end of the tang rounded with the front end of the milled groove rounded to match, and it ends on the top of the flat top strap. The remaining front end of the original sighting groove has a filler tig welded in place. Especially since the frame needs a re-blued or color case hardening anyway.

The current S&W click adjustable small J frame sight is much cheaper at $56 and adapts very well by rounding the front end of the tang and fitting it flush to the top strap milled slot. YMMV

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004441585?pid=315528

315528.jpg

Luckyducker

Single-Sixer
I don't know how to post pics, but my stainless Vaquero 4 5/8" has post war S&W J frame adjustable rear sight, but I bought it already converted. It looks nice and I don't think you will be disappointed if the smith does good work.

SGW Gunsmith

Blackhawk
princeout said:
Here's a Vaquero in 45 Colt built by Ben Forkin. Octagon barrel, S&W style sights, long cylinder, Turnbull CCH and Fishpaw musk ox grips.

Tim

qX6swvW.jpg

r86Zi0C.jpg

That is a VERY nice lookin' setup. The rear sight compliments that revolver very well. When Roy Fishpaw passed, we lost an excellent grip panel maker.

ryanc.ross

Blackhawk
Tim has some top shelf revolvers and great taste. Not trying to override him or others, but there is a different direction also. A dovetail front sight with a set screw to act as an added adjustment/hold in the slot. Most times you need someone to make you one and more importantly someone who can cut one at a 90 degree angle to the bore. Cleaning up the rear "sight" notch such as widening and deepening it also helps with a sight picture. I'll see if I can locate some pictures of stuff that's functional and flattering.