Browning .22wmr ammo

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Never shot Browning ammo, but picked up a couple boxes of 40gr. jhp today since I needed some 40gr to try out in my new RPR and that's all they had on the shelf. Won't be shooting till tomorrow or Sunday, but was curious if anyone had experience with this round. What to expect accuracy-wise, any complaints about misfires, etc.

NikA

Buckeye
I don't think Browning produces any ammo; all the stuff I've encountered has been rebranded runs from other makers. Might know more about it's quality if you could figure out the real manufacturer.

ETA: looks like at least their .22LR used to be made by Win/Olin.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
NikA said:
I don't think Browning produces any ammo; all the stuff I've encountered has been rebranded runs from other makers. Might know more about it's quality if you could figure out the real manufacturer.

ETA: looks like at least their .22LR used to be made by Win/Olin.

The Browning logo is stamped on the brass, and the box says it was made in Arnold, MO. That's all I know.

NikA

Buckeye
Arnold, MO is the location of Browning HQ (at least the ammo div). If the UPC (number under the bar code) starts with 020892, that's the code for Win/Olin (verified on samples of Browning and Win RF ammo I have access to).

ETA: Browning .22WMR ballistics are identical to Win SuperX, not an unreasonable bet that they are the same product.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
NikA said:
Arnold, MO is the location of Browning HQ (at least the ammo div). If the UPC (number under the bar code) starts with 020892, that's the code for Win/Olin (verified on samples of Browning and Win RF ammo I have access to).

ETA: Browning .22WMR ballistics are identical to Win SuperX, not an unreasonable bet that they are the same product.

Did some googling, and apparently Browning and Winchester made a deal back in 2016 regarding Browning ammo. Browning didn't come right out and say their branded ammo was manufactured by Winchester, but they didn't deny it either. The code is what you stated. Anyway, it's not that big a deal as long as the ammo performs well for me, which I'll find out this afternoon if the wind dies down a bit. It's a little gusty (around 5-10mph) and swirls around some where I shoot, which can make it difficult to get a consistent group. I'll post results if the weather permits.

Thanks. :)

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Weather got good around noon today - sunny, not much wind - so set up on my table saw with a target at 50yds. Shooting with a scope and bipod, performance (accuracy & precision) was far below the 30grn Hornady V-Max that I'd sighted in with a few days ago. I was also not terribly happy at how dirty the Browning was. Gave it up after 30 rnds. When I got back in the house and cleaned the gun it looked like I'd used black powder. That said, I'm probably not going to shoot it in this rifle again, and will relegate it to revolver plinking.

The Happy Kaboomer

Single-Sixer
Might as well buy Winchester. They make Browning and Herter's ammo.........Browning never has and never will have an ammo company.