A Hoarder's Story

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
I have a long time acquaintance who is a REAL HOARDER (almost TV worthy). Just one of the things he hoards is all of his reloading equipment and components. My friend has stashed everything 'safely' away. Yes, he does shoot, but it is only a minor hobby for him. Now, we're talking barrels of brass of various calibers; probably tens of thousands of primers; equal amounts of bullets, powder...etc. etc. You get the idea; now the irony. We went shooting so he could 'sight-in' and generally become more accustomed to his brand new handgun. When I left to meet him, I threw and extra box of ammo in my shooting bag since I was certain that he would NOT bring enough ammo to get comfortable with his new gun. He showed up with his gun, ear and eye protection and half a box of 9mm ammo. Good thing he had the box I brought for him :)
You really can't make this stuff up.
J.

gunzo

Buckeye
A local "group" that has plenty of money are part of the problem.

The whole dang bunch of them trained about enough to last through a mag or 3 of 5.56 if the SHTF. Yet they have it stacked to the rafters.

wwb

Hunter
gunzo said:
A local "group" that has plenty of money are part of the problem.

The whole dang bunch of them trained about enough to last through a mag or 3 of 5.56 if the SHTF. Yet they have it stacked to the rafters.

Let me guess.... the same guys with the 4-rail forearm on their AR, and every accessory imaginable hanging on it.

In a similar vein, we had some guy with a brand new pistol-grip pump shotgun show up at the gun club wanting to shoot it. We directed him to the skeet field,and showed him each shot. Took everything I could muster to keep from laughing.... out of 25 birds, he hit exactly zero. By the end of the round, he had also developed a world-class flinch.

mikld

Blackhawk
I have a lot of tools, equipment, and components, but I am not a "hoarder". I'm a tool nut (and lifelong machinist/mechanic) so I have 1.48 metric tons of reloading equipment, purchased over 40 years. As for components, I have purchased a little extra over a period of 30 years every time I bought powder/bullets/primers. To me a hoarder is one with the "I gotta get mine before every else gets it all" or the out of control person that accumulates stuff just to have it and rarely uses any. (I hate researching a load, and when going to the cabinet seeing an empty space where the chosen bullet is supposed to be!!).

Anyway, I think I would tell "Mr, Never Enough" to make sure he brings enough ammo and if he didn't, let him watch you shoot...

I don't hoard, but do have an ample supply of reloading necessities. I have however bought some cast iron pans at the thrift store, only because I didn't want someone else to buy it...That and they were nice pans. :D

Dan in MI

Staff member
There was a time I was shooting 700-1200 rounds a week about 7-8 months a year, and bought components to stay ahead of the game. Then I started shooting less but still bought components like I was shooting that much out of habit. Of course there was the stock up before the AWB, and then the next crisis, or two. Now I am just a very, very, happy shooter. :mrgreen:

langenc

Single-Sixer
Anyway, I think I would tell "Mr, Never Enough" to make sure he brings enough ammo and if he didn't, let him watch you shoot..

The only way to teach em. Dont play their silly game.

32magfan

Blackhawk
My father passed in 2014 in early April. He was a pack rat at the least and bordered on hoarding certain things. That fall, the entire basement had to be emptied for the house foundation to be repaired. I took his safe, guns, powder and primers home with me in a 16 foot enclosed trailer. Several 8 lb. jugs of powder, around 25,000 primers, dozens of loaded ammo cans with reloads and several buckets of wheel weights.
To explain some of his "madness", he battled cancer for about eleven years. The last 5-6 years, he didn't feel like hunting or fishing much but he could go to the basement and load ammo. He took dozens of treatments over the years and the AFLAC duck sent him a check every time he received a treatment. He bought a jug of powder, a few bricks of primers or a new gun on his trips to Lexington to the Doctor. I kept him in stock with pistol brass from the range I visited in TN and we became good customers of Starline for revolver brass.

I still have some of his stuff stored but I have slowed considerably in shooting and reloading. At least I am ready for any shortages. :mrgreen:
Thanks,
32Magfan