6.5 Carcano

Help Support Ruger Forum:

azleite

Single-Sixer
Hi Folk's, I purchased a Carcano carbine about a year ago. I've shot some Privi 123 grn out of it, which are .264". Last weekend at my ranges swap meet I met a elderly Gentleman with a table who is a retiring Gunsmith. I could've talked to this Guy for hours, he had a set of Carcano dies and four boxes of old Privi ammo which contained 52 of his reloads and the rest empty brass. The reloads all have the 160 grn Hornady RN which are the correct .267" & are almost impossible to find. I intend to pull these bullets to use in once fired cases shot from my gun. My question: The Hornady book specifies to not deviate from their data which calls for WLRM primers. Of which I have none. I do have WLR & CCI LR 200. Would I be ok with the Winchesters as their supposed to the hotter large rifle primer? Thanks for any help-Dave

RSIno1

Hunter
Yes. I've never had any problem using different primers. They list the components to "duplicate" their load but they never really do. All their stuff is shot/tested from a new barrel on a bolted down receiver not an old military gun.