Tight Primers ???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I bought these primers last year. Winchester Match Grade Small Rifle Primers. I bought them for the 357 Max. Hornaday 10th edition called for Remington small rifle primers (7 1/2), but I never see Remington Primers in the stores around here.

And holy cow, these primers are a tight fit! I just got around to using them yesterday. I prime off the press with one of those RCBS Universal Hand primer tools. With a turret press, it's just easier.

But it was all I could do to squeeze these primers into the cases. They are a copper colored primer, Normally I use CCI primers, and they just pop right in, but I swear, I had to use both hands and squeeze as hard as I could.

Anyone else ever try these primers?

MuK84kHm.jpg

Well, I've tried other primers and they go in no problem, so I think it's the primer, not the brass. I'm not sure I'd want to change the brass with a uniformer tool.

And unfortunately I don't have any other brands of 357 brass, it's all Starline, only reloaded perhaps 3 times so far.

I'll just make a note to self to not buy this brand of primers again, only I have about 400 of these primers left. I'll try them in my 327 brass, that isn't Starline….

Johnnu2

Hunter
Kevin, I think it is the primers fer sure.... I've had that problem with some primers in the past although I can't recall the brands (it was not the ones you show); I just squeezed them in and went to the range.

As an FYI, I use primer pocket uniformers all the time; I actually use them to clean out my primer pockets for residue. At the same time, they true-up the base of the primer pocket. Yes, they do take away material but in the bazzillion years I've been cutting with them, I've never had a case failure. And, NO, they won't help you with this problem of tight primers, but you will have some clean and true pockets.

J.

Johnnu2 said:
As an FYI, I use primer pocket uniformers all the time; I actually use them to clean out my primer pockets for residue. At the same time, they true-up the base of the primer pocket. Yes, they do take away material but in the bazzillion years I've been cutting with them, I've never had a case failure. And, NO, they won't help you with this problem of tight primers, but you will have some clean and true pockets.

J.

Thanks, perhaps I'll look into one. I've been going to Scheels lately, in my opinion, it's just a bit nicer than Cabelas. Actually quite a bit. They have some reloading stuff in stock. It's where I've gotten primers and powder in the past year or so. I'll go see what they have for case prep.

I found the same problem with Win lg rifle mag primers last week.
I have loaded about 400 Weatherby cases in 7mm wby mag with Fed lg rifle mag. and shot them over the last year. I have 2 thousand plus WLRM primers and with only 2 hundred Fed 215Ms left, I wanted to load some up and test them. They are really tight in the Weatherby cases. I do not like it. I pulled them before even shooting them. I have a primer pocket tool and am going to run them through it and see if that helps. If not wait for more Fed or CCI primers.
In the recent past I have used the WLRM primers in 7mm rem mag cases of Remington and Winchester also 338 RUM in Nosler and Remington cases and never had them be so damn tight to seat.
They may work just fine ,but when it takes about all I have in strength to hand seat a primer I just do not like it.
Just me, but I quit using the rams on any press to seat a primer decades ago. I like the hand tools so I can feel the primer seating. I crushed primers using the ram on both RCBS and Redding presses. Never on a hand tool.

Johnnu2

Hunter
kmoore.... agree 100%
"They may work just fine ,but when it takes about all I have in strength to hand seat a primer I just do not like it.
Just me, but I quit using the rams on any press to seat a primer decades ago. I like the hand tools so I can feel the primer seating. I crushed primers using the ram on both RCBS and Redding presses. Never on a hand tool."....
YUP, am running out of the strength I used to have... it does hurt in many ways :)

J.

watashie00

Bearcat
I found the same problem with Win lg rifle mag primers last week.
I have loaded about 400 Weatherby cases in 7mm wby mag with Fed lg rifle mag. and shot them over the last year. I have 2 thousand plus WLRM primers and with only 2 hundred Fed 215Ms left, I wanted to load some up and test them. They are really tight in the Weatherby cases. I do not like it. I pulled them before even shooting them. I have a primer pocket tool and am going to run them through it and see if that helps. If not wait for more Fed or CCI primers.
In the recent past I have used the WLRM primers in 7mm rem mag cases of Remington and Winchester also 338 RUM in Nosler and Remington cases and never had them be so damn tight to seat.
They may work just fine ,but when it takes about all I have in strength to hand seat a primer I just do not like it.
Just me, but I quit using the rams on any press to seat a primer decades ago. I like the hand tools so I can feel the primer seating. I crushed primers using the ram on both RCBS and Redding presses. Never on a hand tool.
In My 300 WBY and My 338 WinMag,, I use only Winchester brass and primers,, due to the pressures in that Magnum level of rarified explosive gas expansion,, I have shot Remington Brass, but have found primer pocket irregularities,, Weatherby Brass is insanely priced, but occasionally I find a box of brass ($120 for 20 rounds) in the garbage at the range and snatch them up,, but the case prep on those belted Mags is a super duper PITA.. plus with a charge between 92 an 96 grains per round it eats up some RL 15/17/19 in a hurry. I load with a Dillon 550B,,, but measure the powder by hand. I like the loads in RL 15, RL 19 but it took me a long time to work it out,,, one last thought especially on Magnums,, get the bore measured so you properly and uniformly build a round that seats perfectly in the chamber,,, I have had some IMPRINTS of the bolt face on my 300 WBY (remington) brass due to slop.... I love that gun, but it is like a beautifully insane girlfriend,,, fun to be with,,, but fully capable of killing you during the process,, lots, and I mean LOTS of powder, power, and pressure in that chamber with 96 grains of powder....

beentheredone

Single-Sixer
Max-spec primer in to a min-spec primer seat. I see it all the time, just depends on what brass and what primers.

loaded round

Hunter
I ran into the same problem with 9mm cases and Winchester SP primers fitting tightly several years ago. I solved that problem by running all my once fired new brass thru a Dillon Super Swage 600 tool. It was an extra reloading step, but never had a problem with ''hard to seat'' primers again.

Rich/WIS

Bearcat
When priming my mixed 45 ACP brass with CCI primers there is a noticeable difference between brands of brass and even sometimes within the same brand. Worst were the S&B, tight and little or no bevel on the case to let the primer start into the pocket, Herter's were as bad but think they are made by S&B and branded as Herter's. Haven't even seen Win or Rem primers in a long time.

Herter's were as bad but think they are made by S&B and branded as Herter's. Haven't even seen Win or Rem primers in a long time.
Thanks for the input.

Mostly around DFW it's CCI primers. However, last time I was at the box box store, (not Bass Pro) they had Remington primers. I bought some.

Haven't used them yet, but will eventually. So I can't comment on the quality just yet. But I've been happy with CCI primers. They do what they've supposed to do anyway. And as far as I can tell they are consistent in quality.