5.56 “green tip”

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
Kind of a newbie question but here goes ……

I'm seeing a fair amount of "green tip" 5.56 being offered for sale these days ….. it that also called "tracer" ammo? What exactly is "green tip"?

RSIno1

Hunter
Green Tip is 62 grain FMJ with a steel core. Plain tip military is 55 grain FMJ with lead core. Orange tip is tracer.

EDIT: Found this site - https://www.80-lower.com/80-lower-blog/the-556-nato-ammo-guide-xm855-vs-xm193/

it that also called "tracer" ammo? What exactly is "green tip"?

As stated, the 'green tip' is not tracer. There is a 62(?) grain tracer that provides a similar trajectory but I don't think it contains the penetrator core. From what I've heard, the M855 is mostly a drill bit when hitting meat. I have a couple cans of it along with a few hundred matching tracers just in case I come under attack by armor plated zombies.

loaded round

Hunter
Green tip (M855) 5.56 rounds is armor piercing ammo with a steel penetrator core inside a copper jacket. 5.56 tracer ammo will have either a red or orange tip on it.

OK, let's define "armor piercing" and feel free to correct me.
My take on the M855 is that it was designed to penetrate "body armor" better than M193(55 grain FMJ).

NikA

Buckeye
Actually, M855 was designed to penetrate the Warsaw Pact standard helmet from the time of its adoption better. Nothing more, nothing less. It's not any more 'armor piercing' than M193: either round will penetrate soft body armor designed for pistols and be easily stopped by hard armor rated for rifles. The penetrator in M855 tends to leave a tiny dent in hard armor, nothing close to penetration.

Folks calling it 'armor piercing' is what almost got it banned under the Obama administration ten years ago.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I find M855 , 62 gr. Very accurate. I have a 100 yrd target that 4 shots and a dime covers. AR-556 Ruger. I posted the target here, a few yrs ago. It's a boat tail design. A magnet picks them up.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
This NATO ammo used to be sold in several places in Independence. I bought it years ago, and stashed it away. Sure shoots good in my rifles.

Latest posts