Curious visit to Cabelas today

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I called Cabelas, and they did have some primers, only Large Pistol Magnum Primers. Over the phone I asked what the guy thought about using them in .45 Colt loads. He said he had no idea.

I drove out to Cabelas and bought 400 of them. ($8 per hundred) I asked the two sales guys there what they thought about using magnum primers. Nothing specific. They started to answer, but looked at each other and said they didn't know, but told me to ask the guy working over in the ammunition section.

I went over and asked the guy in the ammo section. He said he had no idea about reloading components. He said the guy who did know just left for lunch.

I can only assume they don't want to give out reloading advice, because if someone hurts themselves, they could be liable. It just seems odd that 4 different employees in the gun section, don't know anything about reloading.

They didn't even suggest I buy a reloading manual (which I have at home.)

Just very curious.

So, what do ya'll think about Large Pistol Magnum Primers in 45 Colt? Or 41 Magnum? These are the only two calibers I reload which use large pistol mag primers.

Oh, and PS: They have a very full ammo section, with prices very near "normal."

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Kevin said:
So, what do ya'll think about Large Pistol Magnum Primers in 45 Colt? Or 41 Magnum? These are the only two calibers I reload which use large pistol mag primers.

What I think is that if it's found in black and white in a reputable loading manual, you might want to give it a try. If not, the risk is yours. BTW, you will find all kinds of "Ruger Only" recipes for the .45 Colt. You will not find Ruger's OK on any of those that exceed SAAMI specs. They know what they build.

We sold tons of reloading components when I ran the trap and skeet range. Company policy on reloading advice: just like your guys at Cabela's. "I dunno nuttin' but here's the book so you can look it up." We would often be flipping thru the pages on a glass show case with a whole shelf of stuff that "Just blow'd up. It never did that before!" items that were once nice shotguns.

YMMV...

Rick C

I think I'll try them. My loads are always on the lighter side anyway.

Plus, I've still got a small stash of regular Large Pistol Primers, so I can compare the two side by side.

I'm not going to lose a thumb or finger over some primer. :D

Asking anyone their advice on loading ANY ammo is dangerous. Look it up and know it, never ever assume anyone's advice is safe, ok and not dangerous. I never post my loading data. I read that some do, but me I will NEVER EVER go by word of mouth even with friends. Read it out of a book or online with the companies for free.
In the end it's up to you. I just find your post sounding as a new reloader and not knowing. I sold guns, ammo and spend many hours helping new reloaders and did not need to be told not to give loading advice. We would show anyone the book data but never tell them anything else was ok.

NikA

Buckeye
I've substituted LPM for LP in .41M with mid-range Unique loads by dropping the powder charge 0.5gr. I think there are some posts in this section from Rclark about a similar result in .45LC, with more detailed results.

Thanks all. I'm not a new reloader, but can always learn something new, either by speaking with people, or reading books. I've got old reloading manuals and new reloading manuals. It's interesting to compare. The same with cooking. I have "The Joy of Cooking from 1953 and a current "Joy of Cooking." It's interesting to compare.

I know we don't know everyone in person here, and through a brief post, it's not possible to describe the caution I take in reloading. So you'll just have to trust me, when I say, I would never use some random stranger's loading data from the internet. However, a balanced and fair discussion could yield interesting facts which I can later look up and verify in manuals, or the Hodgdon Reloading Data Center or the Alliant -- both verifiable sources.

So while I am curious about the primers and the above question, I'm also just interested in other's opinions here about reloading.

And, I'm not the first person to question this about swapping primers.

Back in 2013, here on the RugerForum, this was asked:
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=170146

It became a discussion about matching primers to appropriate powders. Interesting stuff and well worth reading, even if it didn't come from a printed manual.

NikA: thanks, yes, it was rclark who had some information on the mag primers in 45 Colt.

Kevin it's called trust, but verify. Sounds like you understand. Please disregard my comments directed toward you.
Hand loading is fun, easy and safe with great returns on accuracy.

I don't swap around with components w/o doing some testing and don't load much handgun ammo but here's what I found when working with small rifle primers in the .223:
Going from CCI 400 to the CCI 41(for semi-auto use & magnum brisance) while maintaining similar muzzle velocity required 1/2 grain less of a medium burn rate for the cartridge (H335/W844/AA2230). The CCI 400 loads needed 28.5 grains but the CCI #41 with 28 grains gave similar velocity. Is this significant? Not really unless you're running on the ragged edge. On the other hand, does the added 'pop' of the magnum primer inundate the handgun powder charge with more ignition flame and cause some weird pressure bubble effect?

blammer

Single-Sixer
Good to hear they have 'very full' ammo selection. Might even be worth driving 13 hours to get some :)

Johnnu2

Hunter
blammer said:
Good to hear they have 'very full' ammo selection. Might even be worth driving 13 hours to get some :)

Probably not worth wasting your time (and certainly not worth wasting any gas).

IMHO,

J.

Primers do change psi/cup and velocity. As per my rules I will not post the load but only say about 45 years ago I went through every primer in a large rifle, both standard and mag. made, every powder and starting at min. loads than working up that was listed for 3006 with the 168 gr match bullet. The CCI lg rifle mag 250 primers had a slower velocity and better STD deviation than CCI 200 lg std rifle. Go figure that one. The test took most of the summer and pages of data. My goal was to see if I could have better accuracy than what others where loading with fed match primer and 4064 powder. In the end the loads already being used by the winners in National Matches where what was best.

rimmer

Single-Sixer
I"ve got some Winchester LP and it says for large pistol and for large pistol magnums loads It used to be that you would go 10% less for your loads with magnum primers.

I don't beleive that statement holds up for every handgun and rifle caliber. I would need to read it first and although I have not looked that point up. I don't recall any loading of the many calibers I have as ever had that information in print.
That is reduce a load 10% when using mag primers. Is what I am referring too.
Are you mentioning it for a caliber only or everyone?

Trust but verify! Reloading manuals have typographical errors too. That is why you check multiple sources. I get ideas from many people, that I trust, especially on this forum. I still look in my manuals etc. As Mobuck stated(extrapolating), if you aren't on the ragged edge, using them interchangeably shouldn't be a problem. Good luck, and let us know what you found out.
gramps

Speaking of interchanging primers. I was loading some 357's today. I went to another gun store and they had primers! Well, some. I bought some small rifle primers for the 327.

Anyway, I always keep a log book for what I reload, lots of notes, how the gun shot, etc. weather that day, For me, it's just as helpful as a reloading manual. Which I also fill up with notes and sidebars. However, going back through my notes on 357, back in 2019, which is odd, because there were lots of primers available then, but I used small rifle magnum primers for the 357. They worked just fine that day.

Which all this gets me thinking about sizes. Why are there just two basic sizes for handgun primers? Large Pistol and Small Pistol. Why not 4 sizes and then break down the "standard" primers separate from the magnum primers.

Or another great question, how did the sizes stay universal between different brands? I mean, think about this for a second. Look at anything by brand and if it can be replaced, it's a different size or shape from another brand. Take phone charging cables, or even reusable water bottles, each have their own size lid. Or ink cartridges for printers. each is different between brands.

So how did primers stay the same size between CCI, and Federal, and Winchester. I'm sure there is no true love between these companies when it comes down to it. Why didn't CCI come out with a proprietary size primer only to be used in Hornaday brass for example? Or Federal primers, in a special Nosler brass case?

I guess that is a more thoughtful question meant for an easy chair paired with a whiskey on the rocks. :D

Kevin, those are greats questions. I have no answers, never read a article or remember anything like that listed in any manuals.
Hope someone on here knows. Now you got me interested.
The way it works now is nice for handloaders, imagine picking up range brass and each brand of cartridge needing a different primer and maybe different powder loads.

NikA

Buckeye
Boxer primer sizes are determined by SAAMI, a consortium organization of multiple ammunition manufacturers. I'm sure there are historical reasons the sizes are what they are.

Berdan primers used for reloading in much of the rest of the world come in several different sizes that don't necessarily correspond to the Boxer sizes used in North America. Those sizes may have been determined by CIP, but I believe a lot were decided by various military requirements through the years.

jmol50

Single-Sixer
My Cabela's in Colorado had a good supply of 9mm today. Shows they'll ship you wwb and house brand for sub $20 per box.

No 45 ACP which is what I'm after.

Latest posts