New Availability Of Pistol and rifle Primers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

loaded round

Hunter
First of all I have a good stock of pistol and rifle primers that should last me for at least two or more years years if I'm frugal with them, so I'm not hurting yet. My question is, after several discussions at my local gun club, is when do we consumers expect to see primers back on dealers shelves and at what price. I'm seeing less and less shooting at the two gun clubs I belong to because of the shortage of reloading components and factory ammo. When will we have primers again?

cavediver27

Bearcat
I just purchased two bricks of Federal Match Large Pistol Primers from Sportsmans Warehouse today for $49.95 each. Last week I bought two bricks of CCI small pistol primers for $39.95 each. Not as cheap as a year ago but more than fair pricing as far as I'm concerned.
I also bought two pounds of TiteGroup for 33.50 each.
I only purchase components locally at brick and mortar stores and not on-line.

Cholo

Staff member
A worker in Sportsman's Warehouse told me they had gotten a shipment of primers in. He had called his friend and told him to hurry. I'm sure they didn't last long.

Loaded ammo prices are coming down I assume due to sales slacking. Ammo makers probably have literally tons of backorders left to be filled but some of those may get cancelled later on due to lower retail sales volume. Some insider info from FIOCCHI indicates they're still working as fast and as long as employees can handle and no doubt other plants are, also. Maybe by mid-2022, things will begin to settle down. FWIW, I don't think $40-50 per 1000 for primers is acceptable pricing but maybe that's because I haven't bought any primers since 2011.

Johnnu2

Hunter
IMHO, Mobuck is correct +1:

"FWIW, I don't think $40-50 per 1000 for primers is acceptable pricing but maybe that's because....." It's pure highway robbery......

FYI, the correct price point for primers is $14 - $20 MAX.....Let's try to keep that in mind and stay disciplined.

J.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Johnnu2 said:
FYI, the correct price point for primers is $14 - $20 MAX.....Let's try to keep that in mind and stay disciplined.

Hi,

Last time I remember buying primers at that price, I drove to the gunshop on 75 cent gasoline... ;)

The fellow I get lots of my reloading supplies from hasn't had primers in who knows how long. But he does have prices posted based on what he thinks the new prices will be.

Shotgun: Rem and Win at top ($57/m Rem, $55/m Win) with prices going down thru $35 for CCI and a little less for Euro brands (Cheddite, Fiocchi, Noble.)

Rifle and pistol: $50 to $55/m for all brands. (All American mfrs.)

Of course, he may not be able to buy at the prices he's basing these numbers on when the time comes. One of our big shotshell distributors puts it like this on their website: you will pay the price in effect when the ammo arrives (in 3-6 mos for some!) The money you pay with your order now is a deposit. Ouch!

Prepandemic, I was paying about $35/m for shotgun primers and $30/m for rifle and pistol. If new prices settle at $5/m over those prices, I won't squeal too loudly. In the meantime I'm not holding my breath.

Rick C

Monday morning Sportsman's Warehouse had lots of Fed primers, only 1 Win primer they were small rifle at 4.95 per a 100 round container. Lots of Hodgeon powders mostly shotgun type. Some Win 748, some IMR powders. I grabbed the last 7828 1 lb can for 32.99. Last I purchased any of that was about 2 years ago at 29.99. Local gun shop has had lots of fed handgun primers and they had Hodgeon powders also. No has had any H3450 or H1000 powder yet that I have seen. I really want H1000 to test it for a Wby. mag. but the 7828 does work fine. 1 can loads about 1 box of 50 rounds in the 338 RUM. so it goes fast it that caliber.

Rick Courtright said:
Johnnu2 said:

Last time I remember buying primers at that price, I drove to the gunshop on 75 cent gasoline... ;)

Rick C

:p :p :p

Prior to the latest round of madness, primers here were about $5/100. Some a little more, some a little less. (The farm supply with the best selection around here sells them only by the tray.)

I bought a few bricks via mail order right before the madness started (so, about a year and a half ago). Winchester Large Pistol were about $40-45/brick. PLUS a little for shipping and Haz Mat.

If we ever see $20 bricks of primers on a regular basis again, they'll likely be sitting next to the $8.97 bricks of .22LR. 8)

I fully expect prices to come down some, but not that much.

I recommend against holding one's breath! :mrgreen:

Johnnu2

Hunter
I still believe in supply and demand. I may just be foolish, but I believe that if we DON'T BUY primers, the prices will come down. The longer we DON'T BUY, the further they will come down. We know they are 'out there' and being held back solely for the purpose of raising the price (sorta like DeBeers does with diamonds). If I'm wrong, eventually I'll run out of my stash, will admit defeat and stop shooting.
Just my humble opinion,

J.

Johnnu2 said:
I still believe in supply and demand. I may just be foolish, but I believe that if we DON'T BUY primers, the prices will come down. The longer we DON'T BUY, the further they will come down. We know they are 'out there' and being held back solely for the purpose of raising the price (sorta like DeBeers does with diamonds). If I'm wrong, eventually I'll run out of my stash, will admit defeat and stop shooting.
Just my humble opinion,

J.

I agree to a point, and I'm certainly not calling you foolish. I agree with not paying scalper/speculator prices!

Do you remember the last time you bought primers for $14-20/brick? I'm just curious, as that era predates my entry into reloading. I was seeing $40-50/1,000 about a year and a half ago, which was the last time I saw primers readily available.

Has there been any documentation of manufacturers or distributors holding up the supply of primers, just to raise prices? I haven't seen anything resembling an informed discussion that supports that theory, just internet conspiracy theories and grumbling.

There have been lots of press releases and videos from manufacturers and industry folks explaining the dearth of components. I've seen what appear to be well-reasoned articles in Guns & Ammo, American Rifleman, etc. that do a pretty good job of explaining the shortages. I may be naive, but I'll tend to believe that information until some shows evidence to the contrary.

The car dealer's lots here are virtually devoid of new vehicles. Virtually no new boats or ATVs at dealerships here, either. I don't hear folks saying those industries are holding up the supply, just to inflate prices. I wonder what the difference is?

Well it was so darn long I cannot be 100% sure, but I think I was paying 7.90 a brick of primers when I started and got CCI once a year deals about 5.90. All that's in the past. On selves during BO years 59.00 a brick was seen. I have paid high end 35 to 45 a brick in the past. If you need them no matter what the price many will still buy. I will since I am a high volume shooter and have always stocked up when money was available or I got down to opening the last brick, I paid what the going price was at that time.
If you won't pay the normal store going price, then don't. What I will not do is pay 2 times that amount from some guys basement stock listing on the web just to screw everyone.

Johnnu2

Hunter
Uncle Howie.... I gotta be honest... it's been more than two years since I refreshed my stash.... I haven't even been in any type of firearms establishment in at least 18 months. That being said, I have no evidence, just find it impossible to believe that this is not contrived. I can tell you that I'm stubborn enough and cheap enough to finally give up shooting rather than pay $40-$50 per thousand. GOD, I hope I don't have to eat my words (although... I'm old enough that stopping shooting is probably gonna catch up with me before I run out of stash). p.s. Whenever I drive by the car dealers in my area, they seem to be doing normal business...although their lots are not as FULL as before...There's even a Tesla dealer in town and he's always got a crowd around on the weekends. Maybe I should go in to see if they are really in there selling cars :).
THANKS.... I NEEDED THAT
:)

jgt

Buckeye
Everything we do individually effects the outcome. It's a free country. Because we are free to do something, doesn't make it in our best interest or the best interest of those around us. It has been proven in past shortages that the prices come back down when we do not help create the shortage. How long do we want it to last? It is up to us.

Johnnu2

Hunter
jgt said:
Everything we do individually effects the outcome. It's a free country. Because we are free to do something, doesn't make it in our best interest or the best interest of those around us. It has been proven in past shortages that the prices come back down when we do not help create the shortage. How long do we want it to last? It is up to us.

Very well put jgt......... and with minimal words too....

J.