BE-86 or W231, which to use ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

onehandgunner

Single-Sixer
I am about to run out of Aussie Universal and the Canadian Universal is junk. It will not meter in my Uniflows. It sticks and jams up the throw AND I will not buy any more measures to TRY and use it. So, after reading a bunch of posts from a lot of people and tests by Rclark I will get one of these powders. I load for 44 mag with a 240gr RNFP and have been using 7.0 gr up to 9.5 gr. with 75% of my stuff being 7.0 gr. So, when powder is back on the shelves which would be your choice ? Thanks, Jerry

Paul B

Hunter
I've never used BE-86 so no clue there. However, I prefer W231 over Bullseye for my .38 Spl. wadcutter target loads. Bullet is the Lyman #358495 over 3.1 gr. of W231. Accuracy from my K38 S&W is better than some Winchester factory .38 Spl. target ammo I bought. Bullets mentioned are my own home cast.
Paul B.

contender

Ruger Guru
As our old friend Flatgate would say; "Read the manuals!" Follow the reloading manuals. The folks who publish those manuals test things before they publish data. If the manuals don't mention it,, there's a reason.

Paul B

Hunter
onehandgunner said:
It looks like these two powders for 44 mag are not very popular.

They're too fast burning for serious Magnum handgun loads. They will work for moderate loads though for fun and practice.
Paul B.

Rclark

Hunter
Exactly. In a way I think that is a 'failure' of the manuals as they list mostly 'only' .44 Mag loads and not list light/moderate loads. Suppose they expect you to just look at .44 Special loads and interpolate from there.... That said I liked BE-86 (from my testing) performs much like Unique/Universal. Nothing wrong with W-231 either though. Your call. My goto powder is still Unique for moderate .44 Mag and normal .44 Special loads as I still have 'lots' of it on hand.