I have some 223 Federal ammo! Question on pricing.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

George

Blackhawk
Hello, just kicking around the idea for the moment. I have a thousand plus rounds of 223 Federal bulk ammo. Just wondering what the price range is on that if you can find it. I know there's some ridiculous out of this world pricing on it right now. I'm thinking about maybe selling it but I don't want to gouge to the point of obscenity. So I just like an idea on a fair price given the market as to what it's worth. Again have not decided to sell it for sure so this is just a question on pricing. Thank you! George

PS moderators if this is posted in the wrong place or if this type of question should not be asked please feel free to move will pull this post. Thank you!

Let your conscience be your guide. Anything over 50 cents per round on domestic commercial .223 is gouging as far as I'm concerned.
I'm not selling any ammo except to family or close friends and even then, it's at a price close to what I paid. Ammo prices are coming down from the peak with the influx of European steel case and foreign military surplus trickling in.

Johnnu2

Hunter
I haven't followed prices in a couple of years, but I can offer a thought:

What goes around comes around..............

Do unto others... (?)

Yeah, I know, that's TWO.... but I'm feeling generous this morning.

Nope, I don't need them, thanks

J.

NikA

Buckeye
I don't think you can reasonably sell ammo in common calibers to an unknown individual right now without gouging. If you sell under the current market price, chances are some underemployed person with time on their hands will be purchasing it to resell. You can't purchase more in that quantity at any reasonable price.

Around here 70-75c/rd for brass case .223 seems to be the market value, with some folks asking up to 1$/rd and possible discounts down to 65c/rd for quantity.

The only gun store I bother to go in with any frequency is asking ~1.20$/rd for boxed XM193C, but their prices are definitely high and may be to discourage hoarder for the city coming out looking for ammo.

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Do a search on Gun Broker for completed auctions and you will see what it is really selling for. That would help you set a price you'd be comfortable with.

George

Blackhawk
That's a good idea! I did just do that and I do see the brass cased ammo definitely goes for more than the steel cased ammo and the smaller quantities are a higher price. Well when I picked up my AR I decided to pick up a thousand rounds of Federal 223 in their bulk package all brass case. Also picked up a box in a ammo can of federal 556 I believe 62 grain green tip steel core 420 rounds. And got numerous other boxes containing 20 or 50 in a box. Really not that much ammo just wanted enough to try out the rifle and have enough left over to have on hand. But never did fire it! Go figure. I didn't really get it for the cheapest price as I picked it up in the process of the election between Obama and Hillary Clinton . Things were not cheap then either . In any case it got me thinking what may be more suitable if I decide to get rid of some of this ammo maybe trade it handgun or rifle I may want. Trading tends to be a little more useful to the wants of both people more than the exact price as to what something is worth to a point of course. At least that's how I always looked at it. But thanks it's got my brain turning now. George

bobski

Hunter
its an issue of false values. most people who buy and cause the prices to be high on auction sites, are desperate bidders, buying from sellers who jack the price to recoop their seller fees. what that does is raise the bar falsely on a product. the product isn't really worth that, but because someone buys it from someone who listed high to begin with, forces all others to compete and raise theirs.
welcome to....inflation.
we have the power to control market by not buying, but we aren't willing to quench our uncontrollable desire to shoot.
that's where they got us.
they are targeting our selfishness and desires.

drug dealers do that.
so does the gun industry.

and I not mentioning any websites iaw RF rules.

nekvermont

Buckeye
Hold on to it, the way things are going you may have to use it in trade for a couple loaves of bread, a bag of beans or a gallon of fuel.

krw

Blackhawk
I sold several 1k's rds at $1/rd. Those days are over. Ammo prices steadily dropping. I have never felt bad about selling anything at prices the market will bear. I aint never bought a bxd Flattop for what they sold for new, and would gladly pay the sticker price on a '70 Hemi Challenger. Ammo is no different

RSIno1

Hunter
I've got a friend in need price and one for the unprepared guy I have never met before. Friend gets price I paid - but not an unlimited number just a box or 2 to get buy. The guy I don't know can have it all for 2-3+ times what I paid for it - I'm going to charge the max just so I know he really needs the ammo and just isn't taking advantage of me to sell to someone else who didn't plan ahead.

rugerjunkie said:
Ale-8(1) said:
Repeated again . . . something is "worth" whatever someone will pay for it. :roll:

Curious about whats in this post requiring "roll" eyes?

The fact that this basic truism seems to get lost whenever the discussion rolls around to "fair" pricing.

In any transaction, it's ultimately the buyer who determines the "value" of the item/commodity in question. :wink:

krw

Blackhawk
The Guy who taught me a whole lot about gun tradn told me , All it takes is a happy seller and a happy buyer. No one cares what everybody else thinks. I agree 100%!!

George

Blackhawk
Thank you everyone for your replies! Wow seen both sides of the spectrum on this one. Yes I suppose it's a free country and one could ask whatever they want or as much as one could possibly get at the moment for such items.

One of my reasons for the question was I couldn't remember what I paid for it at the time I know I didn't get it dirt cheap but could not remember and couldn't find the bill so I wanted to see what fare would be according to most people. Fortunately I have a conscious and I'm not that desperate for cash. Found the bill to the 1K of federal 223's I received from Brownells! I paid 349 plus shipping and Hazmat fee at the time.

I am not in retail and with my conscious at this point if I was to sell which I am not at the moment 50 Cent's around would seem reasonable to me to cover a little trouble shipping and Hazmat based on what I paid for the rounds. But again it is a free country and I suppose one could get whatever they could for them. It's just not in my nature.

I believe in fair market value and a reasonable profit. In any case that's my morals I am not saying anybody else is morals are wrong. To each his own.

Thank you all if I decide to sell this stuff I'll put a post up to give you guys a heads up but as it stands I think I'm going to hang on to it don't see me buying more and I still have the platform for the moment. Thank you all! George

hittman

Staff member
$0.75 to $1.00 per round is the new normal around these parts .... even if its steel cased.