Is there any interest in reloading paper shot shells?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LDM

Blackhawk
When I was shooting competitive trap, Federal Champion paper shells were my choice for handicap loads. They seemed to have less perceived recoil than plastic hulls with a 3 dram equivalent load. I reloaded them for the first round in doubles with 1 oz of size 8-1/2 shot which was very effective with a modified choke in the first barrel. The only downside, of course is that they were good for only 2 reloads.

Loading paper hulls with one-piece plastic wads, there is nothing exotic about reloading paper hulls, using the recipes found in many reloading manuals.

I used to shoot trap very regularly, and reloaded 100-200 rounds every week. I reloaded and shot paper shotgun shells as often as plastic shells.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

"Once fired papers" (meaning Federals) were in high demand at our range. Many competitive trapshooters liked them for the recoil factor, while the guys who shot our weekly pot shoots liked them for heavy, long range loads. The guys at Ballistic Products (BPI) sell a lot of once fired shells. Plastic usually runs about $10.99/100, while Federal papers go for $13.99/100 and are usually gone right away. They also stock all the "old school" felt, cork and card wads for those who like field loads built around them.

For decades, the factory powder in Federal papers was a "mfr only" variant of Red Dot--probably still is since I think Federal and Alliant are under the same umbrella. Red Dot still duplicates that wonderful smell...

Rick C

bobski

Hunter
paper was good for the hunting environment. if dropped or ejected in bushes or water, it decomposed. as would the paper cards and buffers.
down side was if they got wet in your pocket hunting, theyd swell and not cycle in.
so...today, seems the diehards that range shoot still use them for the mentioned reasons.

wwb

Hunter
My take on them, having been a shotshell reloader since the 60s..... If the good Lord wanted people to reload paper shells, He wouldn't have made humans smart enough to invent plastic shells.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
wwb said:
My take on them, having been a shotshell reloader since the 60s..... If the good Lord wanted people to reload paper shells, He wouldn't have made humans smart enough to invent plastic shells.

Hi,

Rick's Theory on Evolutionary Creationism:

God made the important stuff first, then left it to humans to work on. Seldom have we truly improved on His work. Paper shells preceded plastic: case in point? ;)

Rick C

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
bobski said:
paper hulls killed lot of servicemen in ww2/korea from ftf's. plastic came about for Vietnam....THANK GOD.

Hi,

A couple of years ago, I found a box of 16 ga shells my father had bought to go dove hunting. That would have been 1960-61. In 1962 I got my my first shotgun--an early birthday present to make opening day of dove season. I have a 20 ga plastic field load hidden away that possibly dates to that trip. A connection between Viet Nam and plastic shells is new to me.

Rick C

kevin masten

Blackhawk
Just a note regarding military use of shot shells. There were huge quantities of brass shot shells produced during WWII, also ,in addition to paper shot shells. Uncertain if there was specific distribution of brass vs paper to a particular theater. Hard to locate the brass for a collection.

bobski

Hunter
..................A connection between Viet Nam and plastic shells is new to me..............

the first all plastic shotshell was the winchester mk5 in 1965.