5.56 and .223 compatibility

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Ok, so I know 223 can be used in a barrel marked 5.56. BUT, not the reverse. But I don't know why? On paper the two cartridges look identical. Are they not?

And if I use 223 in a 5.56 barrel, are there any limitations? Such as, not that much, or a only certain bullet weights or brands? Brass vs steel?

I've got an AR marked 5.56. But at the LGS they sold me some 223 and said it would be safe, and it's steel cased. I haven't shot it yet.

I know the Wylde barrels are supposed to be able to shoot both without issue, correct? Are those barrels as accurate as a specific caliber barrel? What is the benefit of having one vs the other? Wylde barrel vs caliber specific that is.

Just some thought I had driving home from the gun range yesterday.

recumbent

Buckeye
5.56 is a higher pressure than 223. Wylde barrels are accurate.The only difference between the two barrels is the chamber. This explains it:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.223_Wylde_chamber

Thanks for the link. I have looked in my reloading manual. Hornady 10, and it does show the two cases to be identical. The loads are also very similar, but the 5.56 does show more powder being used.

RSIno1

Hunter
recumbent said:
5.56 is a higher pressure than 223. Wylde barrels are accurate. The only difference between the two barrels is the chamber. This explains it:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.223_Wylde_chamber
More fiction - the pressures are nearly identical but measured by 2 different methods which makes them look far apart. The lead in the rifling is different for the two. I have all 3 chambers 223/556/Wylde and shoot 223/556/reloads out of any of them with zero problems and the same accuracy. I have shot some 77 grain Sierra Matchking bullets in my heavy barrel Wylde chambered AR with great results.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
golferboy426 said:
mini 14's are marked 223 but you can run 5.56 through them forever with no issues

Hi,

Does that advice come from Ruger, or just the Interwebs where everybody with a keyboard knows more than the people who make the stuff?

An acquaintance bought a Savage bolt action rifle several years ago, in .223. He called Savage to ask about using 5.56 ammo in that rifle. The lady on the phone must get that question a zillion times a week, because she asked him "What's marked on the barrel?" He replied ".223." She said "Then that's what you should shoot in it. Thank you for your call." Click...

Folks who make the guns, and the ammo, know things about their products that we don't. So it doesn't hurt me a bit to stick with what they say. For folks from the "It ain't blow'd up so it's safe" school of thought, you might be right, but please stay a few lanes away at the range... ;)

Rick C

Rick Courtright said:
golferboy426 said:
mini 14's are marked 223 but you can run 5.56 through them forever with no issues

Hi,

Does that advice come from Ruger, or just the Interwebs where everybody with a keyboard knows more than the people who make the stuff?

An acquaintance bought a Savage bolt action rifle several years ago, in .223. He called Savage to ask about using 5.56 ammo in that rifle. The lady on the phone must get that question a zillion times a week, because she asked him "What's marked on the barrel?" He replied ".223." She said "Then that's what you should shoot in it. Thank you for your call." Click...

Folks who make the guns, and the ammo, know things about their products that we don't. So it doesn't hurt me a bit to stick with what they say. For folks from the "It ain't blow'd up so it's safe" school of thought, you might be right, but please stay a few lanes away at the range... ;)

Rick C

when in doubt..read the manual

https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/mini14-180.pdf

Snake45

Hawkeye
Rick Courtright said:
she asked him "What's marked on the barrel?" He replied ".223." She said "Then that's what you should shoot in it. Thank you for your call." Click...
She sounds like an idiot. The Savage 110 is a hella strong bolt action. There's no reason it shouldn't be able to handle any milspec 5.56.

There MIGHT be SOME light .223 rifles that would have problems with hot-loaded 5.56, but I can't imagine the Savage 110 would be one of them.

wwb

Hunter
Snake45 said:
She sounds like an idiot. The Savage 110 is a hella strong bolt action. There's no reason it shouldn't be able to handle any milspec 5.56.

There MIGHT be SOME light .223 rifles that would have problems with hot-loaded 5.56, but I can't imagine the Savage 110 would be one of them.

In reference to the thread about annoying phrases..... "built like a tank...". In the case of a Savage 110, sadly, this phrase actually applies.

Edited.... this would actually be the Savage Model 10 (short action) as opposed to the 110 (standard, or .30-06 length action) Also applies to the Savage Model 12 (as opposed to the 112).

Snake45

Hawkeye
Followup: I went on Savage's website and found the issue addressed under their FAQs. They "recommend" only .223 in their ".223" rifles but don't use the word "dangerous" or state that shooting 5.56 would void the warranty. Sounds like CYA language but I still don't think there would be a problem.

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
golferboy426 said:

Hi,

Thank you! I don't have, or care to own, a Mini-14 so I didn't have a manual at hand. With apologies to Flatgate!

Rick C

Rick Courtright said:
golferboy426 said:

With apologies to Flatgate!

Rick C

LOL Many here won't get the reference.. I met Carl through my dad LONG before any internet when things were sold via the Shotgun News or later the Gun List. Dad sold him quite a few guns and somewhere I have at least one written correspondence of a transaction

rugerjunkie

Buckeye
Nice to be on a forum where people know more than the ammo companies making and testing ammo. There's more than just Hornady saying what they say about the matter too. The old mini could run 5.56 because the chambers were sloppy enough to chamber a 243! Exaggerating , but all the 180 series I had were terrible.

Do whatever you want but remember things are always fine until they aren't. You can shoot 5.56 in a 223 and maybe never have an issue until that one day you load that one round into the gun and all of the sudden things aren't fine anymore.