Wheel Weights

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LAH

Buckeye
Finally finished all the wheel weights. I never plan to melt & clean them again. I stacked this last lot & thought you might enjoy a picture. This is 1100 pounds.

20210310_121651.jpg

20210309_164423.jpg

LAH

Buckeye
Just to save space. I did restack them using 2 stacks.

"Wheel weights are useless in CA. The state dictates zinc only."

That should drive the recycle price down significantly. I commend the OP for his efforts to reclaim such useful materials. Mine are mostly still in the buckets as removed by the tire shop. I also have about 300# of "linotype" but it too is still in as acquired form.
"Some day" may be approaching sooner rather than later.

contender

Ruger Guru
Nice looking pile of future bullets.
I finished about 300 lbs of COWW's last weekend. Lots of work,, but fun doing it. Another step in making bullets for the future.
My next step will be to mix my alloy as I desire,, and then start casting bullets.

But,, I still have some range scrap, and other lead to smelt first. Maybe some this weekend.

Johnnu2

Hunter
And my wife is constantly telling me to dump the two 5-gallon buckets of wheel weights that I'm saving for the Apocalypse .... Go figure.

p.s. I'm keeping them handy "just in case"

J.

GP100man

Buckeye
My cardiologist limited me to 50# max these days so my cleaning of cow goes slower than usual.

I estimate I have 2500# to sort thru , 27 5 gal buckets.Will probably yield 50% of useable lead.

All it takes is time & propane !!!

LAH , the tin/antimony content looks hi in those ingots , maybe old stock ???

GP

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Has to be old stock. Nationwide there are no more new lead wheelweights period. If you buy a bucket even in rural areas like here in ND you will get some older farm truck takeoffs but not many.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
In 2008 the epa started warning everyone but it looks like they dropped the ball. 42 states apparently still allow them by state law. In the absence of the final epa ruling you might get some still apparently. I stand corrected. I did find reference that the top 14 largest tire stores dropped lead though so even if its legal in your state you will have to find a mom and pop size operation that still uses them. I havent seen a New lead wheel weight in years in MT, ND, MN or any state I run around in.