Powder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
We'll never get a real answer to that question......

Here's an easier one: Is there an afterlife?

J.

Cholo

Staff member
Powder. It's like the question: Where's all the ammo? The manufacturers say--We're running 24/7! I would then say: Did I stutter? Where-is-all-the-ammo?

I really do wonder what the distributors would say.

mikld

Blackhawk
"We have met the enemy, and they is us", Pogo. Fear, panic buying, hoarding of components is the major cause of the problem. Add the virus and everything slowed down including the powder/component manufacturers' supply of raw materials...

But look at any reloading forum and you will see dozens of posts about the shortage and all the conspiracy theories...

NikA

Buckeye
any ruger said:
I do have a possible explanation goverenment buying it to keep it away from us?

OH, an unreasonable conspiracy as an answer? How original!

any ruger said:
If they are unemployed or underemployed where are they getting the money to buy everything off the shelfs.

Underemployed doesn't mean unemployed or broke. And the government keeps handing out money to folks that would rather not work due to the pandemic.

jgt

Buckeye
Some call it hoarding, some call it panic buying, some call it law of supply and demand. It is people buying all they can when they see it for sale. Some of us have been stocking up, because we've been there, done that. Others got caught short.
I got caught short on .45 acp of all things, because I have been a 44 revolver guy all my life and was just learning the whole bottom feeder thing when this came about. I have manage to piece together a set of dies from three different manufacturers, but a person with less experience would probably not known what to do in that situation. I can do the same for bullet making if need be, so I am not in panic mode.

LDM

Blackhawk
Around here, primers are the big issue. Without the bang-cap all the powder and bullets in the world aren't going to do you any good.

I can't answer the question: where's all the ammo(powder/primers/bullets/whatever) but I have heard from a friend of Grouch Attack's whose Son works in a large ammo factory that even with some employees working as much as company policy will allow (I heard 60 hours per week)-- due to all the COVID restrictions, they simply can't even reach normal full time production. The number of workers is reduced, the backup from one production line to another is increased, cleanup between shift changes, no overlap of incoming/outgoing workers, all adds up to a significant reduction in total output. I'm not making excuses but just relating what seems to be logical reasons.
One guy I talked to last week commented that he and a couple of his friends had driven all day hitting every gun shop, farm store, Walmart, and any other store that might possibly have any sort of ammo. They bought any/all ammo that was available if it fit any gun they owned. Another guy had visited his Brother in Oklahoma stopping everywhere he might find ammo making a 6 hour trip take 2 days. Now, I don't have anything against shooting of any type BUT this sort of thing certainly makes it difficult for the local buyers.
There's ammo in the system. I got an email a few days ago that a case of .224 Valkyrie ammo I'd had on back order for a long time was now available. I also got a notice last night that another internet ammo seller had a supply of .224 Valkyrie ammo ready to ship. Both were Federal brand and what I received appeared to be new production not old stock back of the warehouse stuff. Another place has changed from simply OUT OF STOCK to NOTIFY WHEN AVAILABLE which would indicate that they have some expectation of delivery within reason.

Mobuck said:
One guy I talked to last week commented that he and a couple of his friends had driven all day hitting every gun shop, farm store, Walmart, and any other store that might possibly have any sort of ammo.They bought any/all ammo that was available if it fit any gun they owned.

Call me a skeptic, but I'm guessing those guys bought nearly everything they ran into, whether it fit their guns, or not.

Members here have openly admitted to doing the same, planning to use unwanted items for "trade bait..."

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
I've been finding more powder than anything else , often at close to normal prices . It's Primers that are unobtanium , except at redicous scalper prices . Not just sort of expensive , but insane , ie $30 per Hundred .

Uncle Howie said:
Mobuck said:
One guy I talked to last week commented that he and a couple of his friends had driven all day hitting every gun shop, farm store, Walmart, and any other store that might possibly have any sort of ammo.They bought any/all ammo that was available if it fit any gun they owned.

Call me a skeptic, but I'm guessing those guys bought nearly everything they ran into, whether it fit their guns, or not.

Members here have openly admitted to doing the same, planning to use unwanted items for "trade bait..."

Yep . . . right back to the Pogo quote. I've seen it happen. :roll: