reloading .45LongColt ........ powder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I'll preface this with: I Do Not Reload And Therefore I Have Absolutely No Idea !!

I've got some VihtaVuori 20N29 powder. I know it is for .50BMG.

I'd appreciate some thoughts/opinions/academic learned discussions/wild ideas/pontifications if it can be used for light/plinking loads for .45LongColt.

Cheers and Thanks.

recumbent

Buckeye
It's a rifle powder, don't use it in a 45 long colt. Don't use it without published loading data.
https://www.vihtavuori.com/powder/20n29-rifle-powder/

TX Nimrod

Bearcat
Such a slow, heavily deterent-coated powder would likely not even ignite or burn well in low pressure .45 LC loads. As above, don't try it. The slowest powder I've used successfully in my various .45LCs is AA-1680.

gunzo

Hunter
For the 45 Colt I would suggest a Lyman or Speer loading manual to start. Heck, both. Good reading & a wealth of info about such things.

If you ever decide to start loading, or not, you'll be armed with added knowledge.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Problem now is finding any powder. I like Red Dot, Unique, 2400 ( favorite!). IMR 4227. I bought several bottles of True Blue. Western powder. AA"9 is a good one. With primers, powders and projectiles being hard to find, makes it tough on a new reloader.

mikld

Blackhawk
If I were trying to explain this subject to an absolute new reloader I might compare pistol powders to high octane gasoline and slow rifle powders to kerosene. Both burn, both can be used in internal combustion engines (with special modifications for kerosene of course). But in this application, the high octane gasoline (pistol powder) is miles ahead of kerosene (50 BMG rifle powder) in efficiency...

meister mash

Bearcat
Might not be that difficult to find black powder or black powder substitutes like pyrodex or triple 7.
I bought a pound of triple 7 3f for the new Walker reproduction and I started to eye ball it.
I still have plenty of powder though so it will go in the Walker first.
But I think you can load T7 in cartridges.
Anyway, Sportsmans Warehouse had triple 7 on the shelf.

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Would it be *safe* ? Yes , as the pressures would be Extremely Low .

Would it be even vaguely Satisfactory ? Absolutely Not . You would have massive amounts of unburned powder, extremely low , and extremely inconsistent velocities .

chuck

Blackhawk
loaded round said:
Best powder I've found for the 45 Colt is Unique. Especilly good used with cast lead bullets.
ME 2, Unique is the one I use in my 45 long colt with cast bullets