Remarking brass

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Dan in MI

Staff member
I'm contemplating making some 44 special brass for a friend. Is there any way of changing the headstamp? I'm thinking at least engraving a line through the "magnum."

Anybody done something like this?
Other ideas?

mikld

Blackhawk
Off the top of my head; restamping would be difficult, but my first thought was a small center punch/prick punch, punching a line of dots through "Magnum". Might have to clean up divots/crater edges. Small letter stamps may work, but the biggest drawback is hiding the Magnum stamp...

Way to much work, just use a marker pen.
Been marking brass that way for different reasons, over 30 years. Even after reloading that is still visible. Some of mine remain clearly marked for years.

Repurposing "tired" 44 mag brass that has mouth splits?
Actually don't see the need--shorter brass will/should be noticeable and won't really hurt anything if used in the mag.

NikA

Buckeye
Tested the knurling method I suggested in this thread and am pleased with the results. Just bumped the pictured case with a straight knurling wheel for a couple seconds.

https://ibb.co/GP8xcLz

This is for a bottlenecked rifle cartridge that would chamber and fire in the original chambering, so obscuring the headstamp seemed necessary in this case.

Forgive the rough appearance of the primer pocket, this a test case for Berdan to Boxer conversion as well.

I'm going to go in a different direction. I would NOT do it for anyone other than for myself. Why? Liability, pure and simple. Not any different than if you reloaded ammo for a friend and something bad happens. So Friend loads them and something happens and the brass fails, doesn't matter if he reloaded them incorrectly, a lawyer is going to point to the "remanufactured" brass. I don't reload for anyone but myself because I can't afford the liability insurance.

That type of marking would sure be a 1 only if any one was in doubt. Lets say, friend gets loaded rounds. He gives or lets some else fire them and it would quickly go back without much doubt were they came from.
Court cases get really costly just to prove what you did to customize XYZ and that did not have a thing to do with the problem the lawsuit was filed for. I will add yes the case could be won or lost, it's still costly. Umbrella insurence? I have it.

NikA

Buckeye
kmoore, I'm really having trouble parsing your response.

I don't care that the headstamp is distinct, I (and I think the OP as well) care that it is not incorrect. The round I used as an example is an obscure military round for which commercial ammunition has not been produced for 60 or so years; it's highly unlikely anyone else is going to pick up a round thusly marked and be able to ID it, much less cram it in to some random firearm and fire it.

If I wanted to clean the headstamp, I could easily do that as well, though in a rimmed cartridge it could easily affect the headspace.

Regarding liability, I would think all the companies processing. 223 brass into .300 Blackout without remarking it have probably figured this out by now. Reloading and firing reloaded ammunition is basically an acceptance of personal liability as far as I can tell from the legal jargon on all the suppliers and manufacturers websites, I think it would be hard to pin liability on someone that reloads some rounds for a friend and does not represent them as commercially loaded ammunition.

Acceptance of personal liability is all well and good until something bad happens, then the injured and their lawyers don't care what the web sites say. Also, these companies that make/remake empty cases/ammo/etc. should be licensed (FFL06) and their lawyers probably wouldn't back them without liability insurance.

And if you say that they are only manufacturing cartridge cases be aware that those are defined as "ammunition"

18 U.S.C. § 921 provides us the definition of 'ammunition'.

(a) As used in this chapter

(17)
(A) The term "ammunition" means ammunition or cartridge cases, primers, bullets, or propellent powder designed for use in any firearm.

We are still free (with exceptions of course) to do what we choose in this country and I have chosen that I will not reload ammunition or modify any ammunition component to give/trade/sell to anyone else. What others choose to do is their concern.

I will stop at this because it seems I have derailed the thread. Have a good discussion (as we normally do here on the forum).

NikA

Buckeye
Valuable information on FFL06's, Ron. I see that major brass manufacturers have them; wonder how many smaller processors and resellers do as well.

It'd be fun to get an ATF opinion letter on the topic of trimming brass. I'd say trimming to length is definitely not manufacturing, what about trimming to a different case length? Do you have to trim 20% before it's manufacturing? (ETA: I couldn't resist. Sent the BATF an email requesting more information.)

Anyways, you'll note that before this little diversion into the liability aspects of reloading for others, I never suggested supplying remarked brass to another person, just gave an example of how to definitively and permanently obscure a headstamp. My choices on brass headstamp are for me to distinguish pieces of brass I have reformed from other cartridges I load for.

RSIno1

Hunter
Shouldn't matter. He will know they will fit his 44 Special gun. If someone gets one they'll read and stick it in a Magnum and it won't effect the gun at all. I'd just toss them in a box and loan him the tools to make them what ever length he desires.

My point was all about personal liability.

1 point: If you give a friend a round made by xxx company to fire in his gun. Any problems/damage happens it's not so much on you.

2 point: You make, modified parts or just loaded the round. Now liability is all on you to prove that you did everything safe and correct and why. If ANYTHING goes wrong when the person pulls the trigger. It does not matter if it was his fault, the guns fault, bullets fault, primer fault, case fault. It's up to you (your lawyer) to defend you by proving it was not your fault.
Umbrella insurance is what you get to pay for the lawsuit when and if someone thinks they should take your assets.
I have learned that if someone is hurt or felt wronged they want to point the finger at everyone else. I have had that finger pointed at me and avoid it as much as I can.
With reloading I only shoot my rounds in my guns. I do not shoot others reloads in my guns. I will shoot their reloads in their guns.

dixie884

Blackhawk
Trim .44 Mag to spl length. Someone picks up at range reads headstamp says Mag. Load 22gr 2400 and 255gr Keith with Mag primer. KABOOM!