Question on Federal Brass?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

chuck

Blackhawk
I just got some at a good price but am having problems with the Primers staying in the pockets in the Brass seems to be to big, Any body else have that problem? If so what do you do to fix them?

Once upon a time, I bought 100 "once fired" 243 Win brass and found that 2/3 had primer pockets expanded beyond what would hold a primer. That is NOT good.

TX Nimrod

Bearcat
No wonder the OP got the brass for "a good price". Nothing really wrong with FC brass in my experience, but I wonder what cartridge the OP is using....a big secret I guess.

NikA

Buckeye
I suspect the brass were a 'deal' because they've been fired to the point that the primer pockets are loose, as others have said.

The smart thing to do is scrap the brass.

The resourceful thing to do is to swage the pockets tighter. You can do this with a ball bearing and some means of pressing the case head (e.g., the body of an RCBS primer pocket swager die). This is a step in the conversion process for Berdan brass; it will probably not be extend the brass life significantly or be safe for high pressure loadings.

chuck

Blackhawk
TX Nimrod said:
No wonder the OP got the brass for "a good price". Nothing really wrong with FC brass in my experience, but I wonder what cartridge the OP is using....a big secret I guess.

What does OP mean? the cartage is 308 Winchester.

chuck

Blackhawk
NikA said:
I suspect the brass were a 'deal' because they've been fired to the point that the primer pockets are loose, as others have said.

The smart thing to do is scrap the brass.

The resourceful thing to do is to swage the pockets tighter. You can do this with a ball bearing and some means of pressing the case head (e.g., the body of an RCBS primer pocket swager die). This is a step in the conversion process for Berdan brass; it will probably not be extend the brass life significantly or be safe for high pressure loadings.
Some were fired some were new. this is not the first time I have come across this problem, Yes I have scraped the brass, seems strange no one else has had this problem with FC Brass. And before some one askes I have been reloading for 60 years and have NEVER had this problem with ANY other Brass.

NikA

Buckeye
So if you've come across this problem before with Federal/FC brass, why not go with a different brand? Not now, obviously, but in the future...

Federal rifle brass has a reputation for being fairly soft, which shortens case life. I don't reload for anything that eats cases at the moment, but if I did, I like to think I'd avoid it unless that were all that was available.

57springer

Buckeye
I am looking for new 308 brass myself and in searching I learned there is 308 "match " brass which uses small rifle primers and 308 brass that uses large rifle primers . Go over to starline brass for more info . Could be what you have ?

I can't remember having any problems with Federal GM brass and CCI primers but both are 20 year old production. Maybe someone decided this was crimped primer brass and decided to swage the already properly sized primer pockets. Just throwing mud at the wall to see if something sticks.

Paul B

Hunter
A few years back I was gifted 1,100 rounds of once fired Federal Gold Medal Match .308 brass by a friend. This brass came from an LEO organization that does not reload their brass. The primer pockets on this brass is so loose it will barely hold a primer.
Possible fix depends on the brand of primer used when reloading. Winchester brass is just too loose but CCI brass apparently has a slightly larger cup and will hold better in that brass. Just something that might work for you.
Paul B.

Enigma

Hunter
Some reloaders won't even pick free Federal rifle brass up off the ground for just the reason stated. In many instances, their primer pockets are oversize after just the initial firing.

mr surveyor

Blackhawk
Enigma said:
Some reloaders won't even pick free Federal rifle brass up off the ground for just the reason stated. In many instances, their primer pockets are oversize after just the initial firing.

AMERC brass comes to mind also ;)

jd

dgr416

Single-Sixer
I have bought a ton of federal 308 brass .I was told it's govt loads.There is no way to resize them right .I have tried and tried and resized them many times .Thry have a blue color over the primer .

krw

Blackhawk
I hav shot 1000's of Federal 308 reloads that started out as FGMM. Federal brass is softer and nowhere as consistent as Lapua, but as the old sayn "You get what you pay for". Try to find some Wolf or Tula primers. They are couple .0001" larger diam

krw

Blackhawk
Also makes a huge diff whether ammo was shot in Precision Bolt Rifle or gas operates semi-auto. I wouldnt waste my time reloading brass out of a semi

chuck

Blackhawk
TX Nimrod said:
NO BIG SECRET IT WAS 308