Reloading 9mm--Powder Coated vs Regular Lead Bullets

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cholo

Staff member
I reload for the 40 S&W and 45 ACP, but I've always used either jacketed or plated bullets. I'm about to start loading for the 9mm after I sold all of my 9mm reloading stuff 40 years ago :cry:

Is there any noticeable difference in feeding reliability between powder coated vs regular lead bullets of equal quality? Thanks... :)

contender

Ruger Guru
Powder coating made me quit using lube on my cast bullets.
MANY, MANY USPSA competition shooters are using powder coated bullets.

One of the benefits of PCing over lubed,, much less smoke when a round is fired.

Cholo

Staff member
Thanks for the responses.

Missouri Bullet Company is up to 4 months behind. I'm open to suggestions for alternative companies that are high quality with shorter shipping times. http://www.missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=391&category=5&secondary=8&keywords=

Is .356 the recommended size for most 9mm's? Yeah yeah yeah, I know--without slugging the bore LOL

mikld

Blackhawk
If reloaded with equal care, no difference. I have always used lead bullet data/methods for all my PCed bullets, all calibers. I flare cases the same, seat and crimp the same and at least start with cast bullet data. I have gone to higher velocities with my PCed bullets than my nekkid cast bullets, but more often than not, not found it necessary for performance or accuracy...

Enigma

Hunter
Cholo said:
Is .356 the recommended size for most 9mm's? Yeah yeah yeah, I know--without slugging the bore LOL

It is if your groove diameter is .356" or smaller. Many foreign 9mm barrels have a .357-358" groove diameter.

Rockrat

Single-Sixer
My 9mm likes .357" cast bullets better, but powder coated .356" do pretty well also. I get most of mine from Chey-cast bullets out of Cheyenne, Wy

Cholo

Staff member
I've ordered bullets from Penn Bullets www.pennbullets.com before and have been satisfied. I searched a bit and found that coated bullets are all Penn sells right now, even if it's not listed on the individual bullet pages. The prices on the web page are not current. Right now these 125 gr. RN coated bullets run $95 per 1,000 + flat rate shipping. He said they can fit 3,800 in the same flat rate box.

www.pennbullets.com/9mm/9mm-caliber.html

Fortunately he said they were making a run on that bullet right now so I shouldn't have to wait too long :)

I've found no difference i function between coated and lead bullets. I obtained some hi-tech coated bullets from MBC last year to try out. As a result I've started doing the hi-tech (not powder coat) for the bullets I cast. I like the results so far.