hand loading 45 Schofield (?)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Johnnu2

Hunter
I have a Uberti Schofield in .45 Colt; but I want to use the shorter .45 Schofield round because they cylinder is so short, I have to really work on seating my bullets or they stick out the front of the cyl. THE PROBLEM IS, the RIM of the .45 Schofield case is slightly larger in diameter than that of the .45 Colt case and I've read that the Schofield case will not chamber because it will hit the ratchet (I don't have cases to test this but am quite sure it is correct). So, THE QUESTION IS: are the case capacities similar enough that I can simply trim the Colt cases to the Schofield length and then use the loading manual loads for the .45 Schofield in my .45 Colt cases?

J.

Johnnu2

Hunter
And the answer is:

Use Starline's .45 Cowboy Special cases (they have the same rim DIAMETER as 45 Colt cases) and use load data similar to 45 ACP... OR Trail Boss will work loaded to base of bullet in case (so I've heard)...? None of this is recommended because I haven't tested it as yet.
Hope this helps,
J/

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
Historic Schofield brass had larger rims. Modern brass has standard .45 Colt rims .

Johnnu2

Hunter
I just contacted Starline to check the dimensions of their .45 S&W Schofield..... This is what I was told:

"Schofield rim diameter is .518"-.521", quite a bit larger than the Colt. Rim thickness is .053"-.056" which is essentially the same."

So, it would appear that the larger rim diameter will not allow me to use this brass in my .45Colt Uberti Schofield. Perhaps my gun is an aberration from others (?)
J.