Barn find

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tinman

Buckeye
Brought to me by a friend who was cleaning out a relatives old barn:

6 boxes of 16 gauge - all plastic hull, in beat up boxes but still serviceable.
There were also 11 loose rounds of 16 gauge #5 ..... (I honestly don't remember ever even seeing that shot size)
The following is gonna take some cleanup: no boxes and tarnished.
74 loose rounds marked "300 Weatherby Magnum".
6 loose rounds marked "RP 300 Weatherby Mag".

Now, all I need to do is buy a 16 gauge shotgun and a 300 Weatherby Mag ...... :roll:

Enigma

Hunter
You could probably either trade or sell the 16 gauge stuff. There are still a lot of 16 gauge guns out there and ammo or common for them is not exactly abundant.

RSIno1

Hunter
Enigma said:
You could probably either trade or sell the 16 gauge stuff. There are still a lot of 16 gauge guns out there and ammo or common for them is not exactly abundant.
Yeah you can sell the shotgun stuff but that 300 Weatherby is useless - send it to me for proper disposal.

I found 1200 rounds of IMI .223 I forgot I had when I was cleaning my hobby room the other day.

contender

Ruger Guru
I have a similar story.

I have a friend, and elderly gentleman,, who had a few plastic ammo boxes in his basement, with 16 ga ammo & .38 spl in them. Well, his basement flooded,, and once it was dry, he took out the cans,, dumped the water out of the boxes & didn't do anything else.
He recently decided to do something with that ammo, and contacted me.
I have both boxes,, and the 16 ga. stuff has some corrosion on the metal bases,, but I don't have a 16 ga. to test fire any. The .38 Spl,, I took one of the 20 boxes,, and test fired it. All of it fired just fine.
He wants to sell the stuff,, but so far,, locally, nobody has "needed" any 16 ga. stuff yet. And I just tested the .38 spl stuff,, so now I can market it locally.

jgt

Buckeye
I found some 12 gage Remington black plastic dove shells in my barn when we bought our place. I have shot some of them and they still shoot fine. I was amazed because it can get really hot here, especially in a barn.

tinman

Buckeye
Had an Uncle that was a long time auto mechanic for Sears way back when shotgun shells were still paper. When that industry switched to over plastic he came to the house with his van literally stuffed full with cases of the "old" paper varieties. Sears had pulled them from the shelves to make room for the new style and was selling the paper hulled dirt cheap to liquidate that "old" stock. Between the liquidation price and the Uncles employee discount, he bought them for pennies on the dollar. Something like 10 cents a box sticks in my head.

The 16ga was my first and favorite. I still have a super-lightweight Revelation bolt-action (with detachable box magazine) and full choke. It was perfect for squirrels, but admit I haven't shot it in decades.

My most favorite shotgun is the 16ga Stevens 311-A SXS, the first gun I ever bought, new, at age 15. I have no idea how many quail and pheasant I've taken with it using paper, and later plastic shells . . . #7-1/2 shot for quail, #6 for pheasant. :mrgreen:

Latest posts