Uberti Schofield .38 Point of Impact Problems.....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

K. Funk

Single-Sixer
I picked up a nice Uberti Taylors Schofield in .38 Special at an auction for re-sale, but it really grew on me and I decided, at least for now, to keep it. At the range, the only ammo I had was military 158gr FMJ. At 25yds, didn't even hit the target. At 7 yds, a good 6-8" low. There is not enough front sight there to adjust the height. I am thinking the only possible remedy is reloading with a heavier bullet weight. How much change in POI can I get going to a 174 gr SWC or even a 200gr? I'm thinking somewhere in the 750 fps range is where I would want to be. Any help appreciated.

krf

grobin

Blackhawk
Without at least a basic chronograph you are barking up the wrong bush!

Johnnu2

Hunter
I always believed (and indeed practiced) that, on a fixed-sight gun that was shooting low, the fix is to file down the front sight (very slightly at incremental intervals) until the gun shot (higher) to be "on-target". Am I wrong here?
J.

Cholo

Staff member
↑ You're correct.

Try a heavier bullet and load it at the lower end of the acceptable load range and see how it does. Still too low? Try an even heavier bullet.

grobin, why does he need a chronograph?

grobin

Blackhawk
If you don't want to use a lot of time and effort you don't know what is going on without one! I would expect a heaver bullet, particularly with a relatively light load, to shoot lower! For instance a 140gr bullet has a Mv of 1000fps and a 158gr 850fps.

It looks to me like a sight problem though in which case a crony is irrelevant.

Am I missing something here a .38 bullet maxed out around 200gr?

Ah, I misread the op and just saw the 6" -8" and low front sight parts. Yes, a light load will often shoot low, especially in plow handled guns that are expected to roll upward. A heavier bullet and , or a heavier powder charge may bring it up several inches. The trick is getting it just right, less time in the barrel means less rise, but heavier recoil also cause it to roll upward faster.

GooseGestapo

Bearcat
I think if you look closer, you'll see that the military FMJ .38Spec is in fact 130gr. not 158gr.

This WILL cause most fixed sight .38's to shoot low. If the ammo is USAF PGU-88B ammo, it was loaded HOT (1,125fps) and will shoot REAL low.

Try some 148gr wadcutter or 158gr non-+P. Should shoot right to sights.

wwb

Hunter
grobin said:
........ I would expect a heaver bullet, particularly with a relatively light load, to shoot lower!......

A common misconception. In a handgun, a heavier bullet will impact higher - the gun is starting to recoil before the bullet leaves the barrel. Until the bullet leaves the barrel, you have a closed system, and the center of mass is shifting forward slightly as the bullet travels forward. As the center of mass travels forward, the pistol will move to the rear, causing the muzzle to rise due to the grip location relative to the center of mass. This effect is more pronounced with a heavier bullet than with a lighter bullet.

BearBio

Buckeye
If you reload, just keep trying. I once had a 25-06 that shot one hole at 100 yards. But I didn't write down the load and could never duplicate it! Try different bullet weights until you find one that is close (or closest) and then gradually increase/decrease powders until you get the closest. I'm a Colt SAA fan and use a lot of Kentucky windage when shooting my pistols with fixed sights.

woodperson

Single-Sixer
I think you need to try some 158 grain coated bullets over Trail Boss. They shoot pretty slow. I expect you need to be in the black powder velocity range. And in my Ruger SA they shoot higher than jacketed loads. I looked at the Taylor website. That is a beautiful gun. I would mess with the loads instead of fooling with the sight. If you do not reload then maybe some Cowboy Action loads would work. I probably just would not shoot jacketed bullets in that gun anyway.

mikld

Blackhawk
I'm thinking that the gun being a replica of an 1875-1900 era gun, uses original dimensions, like the front sight height. Perhaps the sights are regulated to common factory ammo used when the gun was originally produced. I would find the original loads and replicate them bullet weight and velocity (21 grains of black powder w/158 gr bullet) and see where the groups are...

K. Funk

Single-Sixer
I appreciate all of the replies. I am just now getting my reloading bench re-set up after a move to a new shop. And yes, I do have a chronograph. As I am soon to be retired, I will have ample time to work on this (assuming the honey-do list does not intervene). I will report back when I have some results. Thanks again.

krf

K. Funk

Single-Sixer
It's been a while, but I have an update on this. I tried working with some heavier bullet reloads, but had no success. I went back to 158 gr SWC's, trying several types, and the gun was shooting 24" low at 25 yds. My .44 Russian and .45 Colt Schofield print POA. I found a front sight adjustment formula/calculator from Dillon. It suggested that I remove 0.173" from the front sight blade. I was concerned that there would not be enough sight blade left to get a sight picture. I got it ground down and re-installed and it worked out great. It looked a little funny, but there was enough left to see the sights. It actually printed a few inches high, I should have worked in increments, but it is much better than what it was. I can get new blades from Taylor's, so maybe I'll play around some more.

krf

Johnnu2

Hunter
I've usually had no problem carefully grinding off a bit of metal from my front sights (it's good that you got a few spares for yours).... But I just can't bring myself to grinding this Founders Model Uberti/Navy Arms.... She's just too beautiful (.45Colt)......I did switch out the orig grips temporarily for these.

K. Funk

Single-Sixer
I just couldn't let it go without trying to get it better. The new blades from Taylors dont have the pin hole drilled. So, I used the original for a template, traced and center-punched the hole, then traced the new profile and ground the new, new one with the slightly higher profile, and drilled the hole. I'm hoping to get to the range this week. I also have a .44-40 Schofield coming. I'll report back.

krf

Johnnu2

Hunter
I took my Schofield (pictured above) to the range today and confirmed it shoots about 6 - 8 inches low at 25 yds. She's just too beautiful to modify.... I nailed all the plates at 25 yds by holding slightly over the top.. BINGO
Am very interested in how your modification worked for you, should be "a good thing"... hope so.
J.

Latest posts