Winchester AutoComp powder in the .44 Magnum...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I've been experimenting with Winchester AutoComp powder recently in revolver cartridges. I'm looking for about 1,000 fps with a 240 gr. cast bullet. Now before I get flamed, I'm looking for something between mild target loads and heavy hunting loads. Sort of a zippy target load.

Here is today's first effort with the powder, comparing with my HP-38 load:

Also in my 5" Super Blackhawk:

So far results have been good.

Bob Wright

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I find it really hard to evaluate different powders for accuracy in handguns, of course I don't shoot that well either. :D :mrgreen:

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Jimbo357mag said:
I find it really hard to evaluate different powders for accuracy in handguns, of course I don't shoot that well either. :D :mrgreen:

To be quite frank with you, I don't shoot that well anymore, either. However, my gun is sighted in with one load, I know about where the new load will print. So, in case I can't get one powder, I can duplicate my favorite loads with another powder.

Do I make sense?

Bob Wright

Rclark

Hunter
Yep. Makes sense :) . I've been doing the same here with Longshot in .44Spec, .44Mag, and .45 Colt. Last up is .357. Kind of fun to try and find comparable loads and a powder's 'characteristics'. I've got lots of 'comparable' loads now which is good when it comes to powder shortages.

silverback

Blackhawk
I am considering the auto comp for 45 colt as well. I haven't been able to run across anything else other than bullseye or CFE. so what is your final observation?

mstuhr

Bearcat
I hope this data helps. Today I shot fifteen rounds of .44 mag, mixed head stamp brass with Missouri bullet rnfp 240 grain cast bullet, WW primer over 9.7 of Autocomp. 1147 fps average and 18 fps deviation.
Groups hovered right at 2" out of a Redhawk with red dot sight at 25 yards. Shot fairly clean with some expected leading. It was the #71 hole in the Lee auto disk.
I have the next smallest option on the Lee Autodisk #61 throwing 8.7 of Autocomp ready to try in the morning.
The first load is not a bad one. I'd like to find one around 1,000fps.
I'm anxious to see what happens as I slow it down.
Best of luck to you.
Mike

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Bob Wright said:
Jimbo357mag said:

To be quite frank with you, I don't shoot that well anymore, either. However, my gun is sighted in with one load, I know about where the new load will print. So, in case I can't get one powder, I can duplicate my favorite loads with another powder.

Do I make sense?

Bob Wright
You make excellent sense! Thank you!! Why wouldn't these loads work in .45 Colt? I duplicate loads between .44 M. & .45 C. I like 6 grs of Red Dot in .45. Why wouldn't 6 grs work in .44M ? Or .44 Special. I mean, with good accuracy. You and Single big bores just go together!

Latest posts