Reloading for the Ruger 57

Help Support Ruger Forum:

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
To date i've reloaded and fired about 100 rounds of my reloaded 5.7 x 28 ammo for my Ruger 57. Reading the beware stories on the net I was a little spooky about purchasing dies and starting.
I've been handloading for 60 plus years and have to say "Tain'nt nothin atall." They are no difficult to load then any other small cartridge. I reload for 14 caliber up to and including 50-140. In other words at $50. for abox of 50 in my neck of the woods my advice go for it.
Incidentally, I'm using the same cases over and over and have not noticed them growing in length or splitting. I expect it to happen soon.

mikld

Blackhawk
Unfortunately to post something on the web one only needs to know how to "hunt and peck" on their keyboard. Commonly called "internet wisdom", anybody can be an "expert" and post anything. One reason I ignore anything dealing with reloading or casting I see on youtube...

Glad you went ahead and reloaded some.

Make smoke!

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
daveg-inkc
Power piston. Most of the recommended powders are within or near the 5 grain setting. 40 grain Hornady bullet.

Get Wood

Single-Sixer
What About The So Called Coating On The Brass ?? I Read That If You Tumble That Off They Won't Feed. What Is Your Take On This ?

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
I haven't tumbled them. Reloaded the same 50 three times, but have yet to shoot the third reloading. I can't discern any coating which I'm sure is there according to factory producers. I was just happy to get the dies and find out after reading the "experts" on the internet who claimed one is better off to buy loaded ammo than to reload were wrong. If you know the basics of reloading...no problems. I'll watch the coating and post what I find out.
Dr Charlie

Get Wood

Single-Sixer
charlies: Thank You, Good To Know. So You Had No Trouble With The Little Shoulder. Thanks In Advance.