Well, I opened deer season

Help Support Ruger Forum:

contender

Ruger Guru
Our local deer season opened a few weeks ago,, with archery equipment only. I've been busy working,, and it's been very hot or warm,, so I didn't feel like swatting mosquitoes.

But this week,, rain forecast all week,, and I got caught up on what I could do w/o climbing ladders. So,, this morning,, I took my crossbow out,, slipped into one of my stands,, and awaited the day.
About 10;30 am,, I had movement,, as the first of 4 bucks came into the area. A pair of spikes,, a scraggly 6 pointer,, and a fatter,, odd 5 pointer. The 5 pointer had basically LONG spikes,, with brow tines,, and an odd backwards kicker point on one antler.
As I watched them,, one of the spikes got within range,, but I'd already decided against trying for one of them. Then,, the 5 pt & the 6 pt got to moving around each other a bit. Well, the odd 5 pointer,,, came within range & stopped. That was all I needed. One crossbow bolt was sent swiftly towards him, and the mechanical broadhead made a darn near perfect pass through.
Deer went everywhere,,, but that 5 pt only went about 35 yds.

So,, I have my first deer of the season,, and the fresh sweet meat was for supper. With the rain & all, and me trying to get him dressed before it got too warm,, and fighting the yellowjackets,, I didn't bother with any pictures.
Nothing special,, just good meat for the table.
But I hope this is a sign of things to come for my season!

Good for you. Nice to hear how things went. With low temps in the mid-50's to low 60's, I wouldn't consider shooting a deer since I have no way to cool it.

Mobuck said:
Good for you. Nice to hear how things went. With low temps in the mid-50's to low 60's, I wouldn't consider shooting a deer since I have no way to cool it.

That is often a winter day in my neck of the woods. We quarter deer and put them in a cooler and plenty of ice on top. They cool very well.

contender

Ruger Guru
NC allows us 6 deer per season ,, without any special permits. In my area, I'm allowed (2) bucks & (4) does. There are areas where you can apply & get permits for additional does.
I cleaned & quartered the deer & I have a spare fridge I use to cool my deer down with when needed.

I'll be butchering it soon for sure. Now I'm going to try & focus on a few others soon.

contender

Ruger Guru
"Nothing special? Deer tag in pocket, deer tag on deer. Works for me."

As noted above,, I'm allowed 6 deer a season. I'm also allowed to harvest as many as I have tags on a single day if possible. So,,, in theory,, I could kill 6 in one day & the season be over. I've never managed that,, but I have taken 4 in one day,, in my past.
I'm a meat hunter first,, but I do enjoy trying to outwit the older, larger bucks as much as possible.

good job....when your post started I suspected you were taking the odd 5, then you said pass BUT temptation won.....I never get the chance to pick & choose...brown & down for me and often it's tag soup

contender

Ruger Guru
golferboy426,, I do enjoy the fact we are allowed a generous number of deer annually. And I do place game cameras around,, to see what's passing through my property. I had seen these 4 deer before,, so I "knew" them. I had decided that the 5 pt would be my first choice. Well,,, unless a different deer I've seen showed up. I have one I'd REALLY like to take. He's a bit more elusive.

I checked my cameras today. And apparently,, I drew the interest of a small bear. He appeared on (2) cameras,, near where I killed the 5 pt, about 3 hours after I'd removed him. I guess the bear to weigh about 100 lbs.

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, he has to be somewhere during the daytime. May I suggest you use a doe in heat scent to make him modify his visitation times? Make sure it's during the rut,,,! Pre-rut is even better.

Good job Contender! I have been seeing only my cripple doe and fawn. Monday I saw a second doe with fawn with the first two. Yep, it is archery season here, but it is warm. I will probably wait till Nov and gun season. I have decided to only shoot bucks this year on my property. I have a WMA hunt late Nov.
gramps

smoke-eater

Blackhawk
Any deer taken fairly and legally is special, indeed. A gift from God. Congrats on a great start to the season!

I'm sitting out archery season this year, and likely forever. Had surgery three weeks ago to have two bones removed from my wrist. They'll have to tie me down to keep me out of the woods in December, though!

contender

Ruger Guru
Ouch smoke-eater. I hope you heal fast & get back at it.

I was out today,, our muzzleloading season opened today. No luck,, today.

smoke-eater said:
Any deer taken fairly and legally is special, indeed. A gift from God. Congrats on a great start to the season!

I'm sitting out archery season this year, and likely forever. Had surgery three weeks ago to have two bones removed from my wrist. They'll have to tie me down to keep me out of the woods in December, though!

Is a crossbow an option for you?

"Is a crossbow an option for you?"
Good idea. Check with your bunny cops. I got a permit to use the crossbow after my shoulder said "no more drawing a bow" although I did have to get my Dr. to confirm my condition.

Mobuck said:
"Is a crossbow an option for you?"
Good idea. Check with your bunny cops. I got a permit to use the crossbow after my shoulder said "no more drawing a bow" although I did have to get my Dr. to confirm my condition.

Several states currently allow crossbows without age or ability restrictions, it appears New Jersey is one of those.

http://www.bestcrossbowsource.com/crossbow-hunting-regulations-new-jersey/

The New Jersey Fish and Game Council eliminated the prohibition on all draw holding and draw locking devices and included crossbows within its definition in 2012. This allowed crossbows to become legal for use in any in any bow and arrow season as well as other types of hunting seasons for all species which allows the use of a bow and arrow.

https://findanyanswer.com/do-you-need-a-license-for-a-crossbow-in-new-jersey

A.J.

Single-Sixer
I have never hunted deer in my life but am considering taking the plunge. I live on large acreage that hasn't been hunted since around 1952. The place is thick with deer. Wife is pushing it pretty hard. She's allergic to pork and beef, but venison is good-to-go.

A.J. said:
I have never hunted deer in my life but am considering taking the plunge. I live on large acreage that hasn't been hunted since around 1952. The place is thick with deer. Wife is pushing it pretty hard. She's allergic to pork and beef, but venison is good-to-go.

I'm in Mid Michigan and if firearm hunting was legal in our township I could just open
a window and shoot one.
Bought a crossbow last year and went out and sat in a brush pile a few times and
got one. Couple of weeks ago went out in the field maybe 200 yards
from our house and got an 8 point on a Saturday evening. Took about an hour
before he walked by.
If it wasn't for the mosquitoes it would almost be like going to the
grocery store.