RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:10 pm 
Hawkeye

My son and I are already planning next years deer hunt. We will be doing an eastern Montana hunt in mid-November. It has me excited!

My question is, what is a good caliber choice for long range Mulies/Whitetails. One of the fellas took a nice white tail at 800 yards. That is beyond my range. I am looking at no longer than 4-500yds. I am thinking 7mm Rem Mag. I am very familiar with this round. A premium 165-168 gr load is what I am thinking.
What say you guys? Also, may have an opportunity for an elk.

Thanks, Dave

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Mark & Jeremy's Dad (Ruby's too)
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

Last edited by Heliman on Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:03 am 
Hawkeye

Unless you have experience with doping wind and such, I can't recommend shooting much beyond 400 yards with anything. Elevation compensation is mathematical but windage(in a hunting scenario) is just a huge question mark.
IF(again that's a big if) you can handle the recoil of the 7mm Rem mag, it's a great performer on deer/elk sized game at extended ranges. Once upon a time, the 7mmRM was my primary game rifle and I shot it a lot. Coyotes @400 yards were in big trouble even with a variable crosswind.
My go to load for a deer/elk combination hunt is the 160 grain Nosler partition. It will expand readily on a deer's ribcage @ 400 yards and still penetrate 3' of elk @ 50 yards.
I shot an elk with the 7mm RM in 2017 and haven't fired it since. I simply can't tolerate that much recoil anymore. I switched to the 25/06 and haven't looked back. The 25/06 has killed deer and coyotes for me out to 400+ yards and in 2018 we killed 2 cow elk at 250 and 350 yards using Nosler 100 grain "E-tip" factory ammo.
If mule deer is your primary target with a possibility of filling an elk tag, don't overlook the 25/06 BUT make sure where you place the bullets. 7mm RM will be more tolerant of iffy hits.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:46 am 
Single-Sixer

270 Winchester.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:21 am 
Hawkeye

I don’t want to sound like a rookie here with my question. It is just that where I have hunted the last 60 years most shots are about 50-75 yds. I have shot a deer at 225 yds with a Ruger #1 7mmRM using the 160gr Nosler Accubond load. Also took an elk at 250 yds with a Ruger 77 in .338 Win Mag.
So recoil is not a real issue. Ballistic performance is.... This will be my first time hunting the open country such as eastern Montana. I do think that in reality that 400 yds is probably my limit.

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:43 am 
Hunter

Actually the best caliber you can use is to practice a lot with the caliber you choose! There are so many good bullets out there anymore that just lots of practice will get the job done with just about anything you shoot well.
I killed my first 6 elk with 7 shots using a custom 270 & a plain old Hornady 130 gr spire point. One bull in the Selway Country raised his head up so he go another round.
The 25/06 mentioned is another very good caliber, as is the 6.5/284 & the 7X57. All these are assuming you use good bullets & practice, not on good days when it's calm & no wind but on bad days when you have to learn how to become a shooter. That's what separates the shooters from the wanna be shooters.

Dick

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:13 pm 
Hunter

sixshot wrote:
Actually the best caliber you can use is to practice a lot with the caliber you choose! There are so many good bullets out there anymore that just lots of practice will get the job done with just about anything you shoot well.
I killed my first 6 elk with 7 shots using a custom 270 & a plain old Hornady 130 gr spire point. One bull in the Selway Country raised his head up so he go another round.
The 25/06 mentioned is another very good caliber, as is the 6.5/284 & the 7X57. All these are assuming you use good bullets & practice, not on good days when it's calm & no wind but on bad days when you have to learn how to become a shooter. That's what separates the shooters from the wanna be shooters.

Dick

............this...........

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:38 pm 
Ruger Guru

I have to agree with sixshot.
If you already have the 7mm Mag,, then you should be good to go. I shot my first 2 elk with my 7 Mag. One was a neck shot at a bit over 400 yds,, (about 435 yds,) dead calm & the elk was standing still.

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA "When it mattered!"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:44 pm 
Hawkeye

Just remember to use a good range finder. The difference between 500 and 550 is a miss. I've got one you can borrow if you want. I prefer ranging vs hold over personally. Then Practise, Practise, Practise. Can hardly wait to hear about it.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 2:04 am 
Hunter

The flat shooting 7mm Rem Mag would be my choice. Something bigger at 400+ yards I'd grab my 300 Win Mag or 300 Weatherby.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:37 am 
Hawkeye

I am not the shooter that others on here are. You already have a positive relationship with the 7 mm RM it would make sense to use it IMO. My second thought would be a 30/06, or 300 Win Mag. That .338 may also be an option, but I am not familiar with it’s ballistics. Look forward to hearing of the hunt!
gramps

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:17 pm 
Hawkeye

I do believe I am going with the 7mmRM.

Now, the question is platform. In deference to the Ruger bolt action platform, I am leaning toward a Bergara B14 Hunter. I have read good reviews about these rifles. Guaranteed MOA accuracy with quality ammunition. I handled one at the local gun shop. Impressed with the fit, perceived weight and trigger. The price point is good as well.

We shall see....

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:32 am 
Hawkeye

catfish621 wrote:
270 Winchester.

Hi,

That's what Jack would have recommended!

Rick C

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:15 am 
Hawkeye

Rick Courtright wrote:
catfish621 wrote:
270 Winchester.

Hi,

That's what Jack would have recommended!

Rick C

Yeah, Jack ran that caliber into the ground..... Not a fan. Much rather have a .280 or 7mmRM. Just my opinion.....

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:41 am 
Hawkeye

"Yeah, Jack ran that caliber into the ground."

He sure contributed to it's popularity. I never really liked the 270 and felt it was an answer to a vague question. After I got hold of my first 25/06, I understood what the 270 was trying to accomplish but the 25/06 did it better. I couldn't really feel a difference in recoil between the 270 and 30/06 and the trajectory wasn't improved that much either. Improvements in bullet design and powders made the smaller calibers shine but O'Conner's constant bragging on the 270 put more luster on it than it might have had otherwise.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:45 am 
Hawkeye

Mobuck wrote:
"Yeah, Jack ran that caliber into the ground."

He sure contributed to it's popularity. I never really liked the 270 and felt it was an answer to a vague question. After I got hold of my first 25/06, I understood what the 270 was trying to accomplish but the 25/06 did it better. I couldn't really feel a difference in recoil between the 270 and 30/06 and the trajectory wasn't improved that much either. Improvements in bullet design and powders made the smaller calibers shine but O'Conner's constant bragging on the 270 put more luster on it than it might have had otherwise.

As a young hunter and beginner firearms enthusiast, I read almost every article in Outdoor Life, Field and Stream, American Rifleman, etc. I am afraid I was influenced by my Dad's preference for the venerable 30-06. He definitely didn't agree with Mr. O'Connor and his love of the .270. In 1962 he was all in on the "new" Remington 700 and it's new chambering of the 7mm Rem Mag. When that happened, I inherited his 721 '06. From then forward I was a .30 caliber fan. I hunted with that rifle for 25 years. It wasn't until about 15 years ago that I began to appreciate my Dad's preference for the 7mm caliber. Since then I have owned and hunted with many different 7mm chamberings. I have found the 7mmRM to be my favorite of those 7mm chamberings.

To be fair, I have never given the .270 a chance. I was just not interested.... And, by the way, I am back to hunting with my 30-06 chambered Ruger American. It doesn't have the range for the hunting experience I have planned, so I am going back again to the 7mmRM. It should do the job just fine.

Dave

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America