OUT OF AFRICA

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Thank you for sharing, sixshot. I grew up reading the book "Hunter" by J. A. Hunter of his years as a PH in Africa. Your telling of your experiences are just as compelling reading. Some of the things I have learned from you. Put in your time on the range, have good equipment, and take good care of it. Thanks again.
gramps

Cracker-American

Blackhawk
In 1994 I traded professional services with a South African engineer. My take away was three days of hunting with a PH based near Thabazimbe. Two of those days were spent hunting like Dick has described. The first morning the tracker signaled a stop then he and the ph had a conference. Then the PH motioned for me to join them. "A really decent Blue Wildebeast walked across the road here since dewfall. How would you like to take a walk in the woods." Without question two of the best days of my life. Blue Wildebeast,Steinbeck,Blesbuck, and Gemsbok. All killed with my Mod 77 .270

sixshot

Buckeye
gramps, just as soon as the Doctor's released me to shoot my bigger guns I really put in the time, starting with 357's and 44 specials, making sure I didn't tear anything loose in my chest. As time went on I was really pounding a lot of lead down the barrels of 5-6 guns. At first I was going to take my bisley 480 but I really didn't want to rebarrel or drill & tap it so it stayed home.
I went through a lot of powder & lead but in the end it was well worth it, I knew I was ready. I had shot close, far away, offhand, moving targts, etc. I knew I was ready unless something sneaked up behind me & tapped on my shoulder!

Dick

noahmercy

Blackhawk
One of my favorite books of all time is Horn of the Hunter by Ruark. It is amazing and gratifying how little the African safari has changed in 70 years. I often dreamed of going after eland, hippo, croc, and cape buff with a handgun, but alas, my finances will never allow. Thanks to wonderful write-ups and pictures like this however, I can still vicariously enjoy the experience. Thank you!

One of my favorite books of all time is Horn of the Hunter by Ruark. It is amazing and gratifying how little the African safari has changed in 70 years. I often dreamed of going after eland, hippo, croc, and cape buff with a handgun, but alas, my finances will never allow. Thanks to wonderful write-ups and pictures like this however, I can still vicariously enjoy the experience. Thank you!
Yes.

Hunting Africa or anywhere with strictly handguns adds a certain satisfaction to the hunt. Memories that will never be forgotten, photos to enjoy by everyone, and possibly mounts or horns to decorate with.
You won't miss the money in a year, but you will have great memories for the rest of your life.

Black Fly

Single-Sixer
Thanks for taking the time and effort to take us along. Nicely done!
Sometimes folks get the impression from TV, videos and hunting reports, that in Africa you drive around,see a trophy, shoot and take pictures. In my case, and in yours, apparently, the fun is the hours in the bush, the stalks that don't quite work out( way more dont than do) and the comradery. It's an experience like none other.
Thanks
Bfly