RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:07 pm 
Hunter

We have a niece who held several national records for mid-length track events (440, 880, etc). She got a full ride at OSU. We asked her if she was trying out for the Olympics (when they were in L.A.). She said "No" because she was 1/10th of a second too slow!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:25 pm 
Hunter

Location: A long way from heaven and far too close to Chicago
In 50 years she will be forgotten. When something is your passion the exceptional ignore the difficulties. she will join the ranks of Louis Sockalexis but even then will be second rank because Sockalexis fought on despite his personal demons until the day he was fired. Society tries to make heroes out of sports figures but so few make the cut. If Simone is an inspiration then the likes of Johnny Clem (the drummer of Chickamauga), Alvin York, Dolittle, Agerholm and any of the names on the Vietnam memorial wall need to have a new word invented to catalog their veneration.

This country wasn't built on "mental health" days... She was built on sacrifice, Marion in the swamps waiting his chance to strike. Washington and his men crossing an icy river in bone chilling cold to strike on Christmas Day. John Paul Jones taunting the British on the burning deck of the Bonhomme Richard. Madison taking command of a militia artillery group before being forced to flee. Gamblers, pirates and even slaves behind breastwork waiting for Jackson to give the order to fire at New Orleans. The grim face Texians buying time with their lives at a place called the Alamo... Somehow getting hurt not landing right off a hobby horse then not listening to the coach just doesn't mean that much.

(My name is Selena and I am a ranter.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:34 pm 
Blackhawk

She'll retire and make the talk show circuit and make millions for it. She may be under pressure but nothing like some of the other countries' athletes. Some of them may be punished for not medaling or losing, including beatings, torture, or prison. The Iranian men's basketball team lost by 50 to the American infidels a few days ago. They most likely are afraid to go home in fear of torture or execution. How's that for pressure?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 5:44 pm 
Hawkeye

I think Simone Biles has secured her place gymnastic history. Those who criticize, who say she should "tough it out," have no concept of what it takes to fling yourself through the air, doing complicated movements, and land without serious injury. Self-doubt could result in crippling injury or even death.

If you were working as ground man for a heavy-lift crane, would you want the operator to "tough it out" when he was having a really, really bad day and wasn't sure of his ability to do the job?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:44 pm 
Single-Sixer

She's selfish and ruined the chances for the other women to be gold medalists. The rest of the team did fantastic by competing while knowing they lost the chance for gold.

She should have said she was disable to compete and left it at that. Now we know a champion can quite when faced with a little adversity. Oh, I just don't feel I can perform at my best today is not a good reason to not compete.

Why spend all those years and all that money only to give up at the last minute? A good athlete continues in the face of disaster and proves to themselves that they are the best. One that's known to be TGOAT proved nothing this week.

Enough of my rant.

Good luck to all the other fantastic members of the Olympics. Do you know what they call the person that came in last? An Olympian. But someone that just quits is just a quitter.

Enough of my rant.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2021 7:37 pm 
Hawkeye

My middle son competed in gymnastics in high school and in college. He has spent his entire life since graduation from Maryland teaching gymnastics. He explained that her exercise that she messed up dropped the team to second. He said that much of competition is mental. Had she stayed and not have been 'in her game' the chances are good that they might not have even gotten bronze. He said it was a smart move on her part knowing that the alternate girl was good. Due to that they managed silver.

Ruger Owners & Collectors Society
Maryland Shall Issue

No matter what life throws at you, NEVER ring the bell.

In life it doesn't matter how many times you fall, what matters is how many times you get back up.

“The measure of intelligence is the ability to change.” Albert Einstein

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:37 am 
Hunter

I get that she thought she was dragging down the team. But she also quit her solo stuff.

I guess she just hit a wall. I wonder how close she was to an actual break down? I’ve known people who have had anxiety attacks about a certain thing and cannot overcome it. Maybe it’s something similar.

Just a sad way to end her run.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2