RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sat May 08, 2021 1:07 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:48 pm 
Hawkeye

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92IiBb2TCV0
The Colt Anaconda is Back! | Guns & Gear First Look
Gun Talk Media
Published on Mar 22, 2021

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:03 am 
Blackhawk

That can't be a bad thing...........

gary@2texas trucks.com

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:25 pm 
Hawkeye

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articl ... t-anaconda :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:33 pm 
Bearcat

Had an 8" Anaconda with a Leupold 2x pistol scope. Was by far and away the most accurate hunting revolver I have ever shot let alone owned. Killed a bunch of deer with it. One day at the range I was shooting next to a guy who asked to try it out. He immediately made me an offer I couldnt refuse.

Wish I hadn't sold it.

Its only money, wish I had the gun instead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:55 pm 
Hawkeye

Will it be an Anaconda or some cheaper version, ala the Python, but sold for an four times what it's actually worth.

The man who says a thing can't be done is usually interrupted by the man who is doing it.
"Freedom is never more than a generation from extinction." Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:41 am 
Single-Sixer

Jeepnik wrote:
Will it be an Anaconda or some cheaper version, ala the Python, but sold for an four times what it's actually worth.

Could you please explain your post?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:31 am 
Single-Sixer

Jeepnik wrote:

Yea, what's that all about?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:24 am 
Hawkeye

The last “Pythons” did not have the original action. The used the last iteration of the Trooper action. Fewer parts, less hand fitting. They increases the mass by both changing the grade of stainless and enlarging some areas of the frame.

It’s not a bad revolver. But Colt is trading on the name while not producing the same handgun. The closest analogy I have is the reissue of the Ford T bird. At least Ford learned and the newer Mustangs have the soul of the original.

The man who says a thing can't be done is usually interrupted by the man who is doing it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:18 am 
Hawkeye

Jeepnik wrote:
The last “Pythons” did not have the original action. The used the last iteration of the Trooper action. Fewer parts, less hand fitting.

From everything I've read, the new action is smoother and lighter than the old action, so that's a good thing.

Social Distancing since 1954.

#Barack'sLiesMatter

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:22 am 
Hawkeye

From the American Rifleman link above . . .

"Built on an enlarged Python receiver, the Colt Anaconda revolver is made from stainless steel and incorporates the same Linear Leaf Spring mechanism as the second-generation Python. This contributes to the smooth trigger pull and crisp break encountered on these newer Colt revolvers, giving revolver fans a better experience than that found even on original Pythons and Anacondas."

Guess we'll see. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:46 am 
Hawkeye

I have two original old-school Pythons. They're beautiful guns and good shooters, but neither their single nor double actions are as good as any of my S&Ws.

I also have an original King Cobra. Its action is better, and the whole gun fits my hand better than the Pythons.

Social Distancing since 1954.

#Barack'sLiesMatter

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:04 pm 
Hawkeye

Snake45 wrote:
Jeepnik wrote:
The last “Pythons” did not have the original action. The used the last iteration of the Trooper action. Fewer parts, less hand fitting.

From everything I've read, the new action is smoother and lighter than the old action, so that's a good thing.

I've fired both. Granted mine is decades old and has more than a couple of rounds through it. But they DO NOT feel the same in my hand.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:14 pm 
Hunter

Ale-8(1) wrote:
From the American Rifleman link above . . .

"Built on an enlarged Python receiver, the Colt Anaconda revolver is made from stainless steel and incorporates the same Linear Leaf Spring mechanism as the second-generation Python. This contributes to the smooth trigger pull and crisp break encountered on these newer Colt revolvers, giving revolver fans a better experience than that found even on original Pythons and Anacondas."

Guess we'll see. :wink:

I have old model Pythons, a new model Python and an old model Anaconda. I don't have a new model Anaconda, but will buy one as soon as possible. With respect to which gun has what action ….

The new model Python has a transfer bar ignition and eliminates the old I & E frame safety. It also does away with the cylinder bolt lever and spring and uses the same as the original Anaconda. The new model Python uses a rebound lever & flat mainspring, same as the old, and uses the same trigger mounted two stage hand, same as the old. The old model Anaconda didn't use a two stage hand and used a coil mainspring. The new Anaconda uses a flat mainspring which, I'd presume, means there's a rebound lever and perhaps the same hand.

I would say the new model Python is about 50% "old model" with some "old Anaconda" thrown in re transfer bar and cylinder bolt. The new Anaconda carries a lot of new model Python configuration, which as stated borrows from the old Anaconda.

I'm not quite sure where that leaves us. I know the new model Python uses that flat "Z spring" for the cylinder thumb-latch which, for the longest time, wasn't available from Colt but could be found on eBay by skunks selling them for +$25.00. Glad that bot of scalping will come to an end. :)

It is fatal to be right when the rest of the world is wrong

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:15 pm 
Hawkeye

Actually I should be happy Colt released this bastardized version. The value of an original just went up.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 9:18 pm 
Single-Sixer

The first centerfire handgun I purchased was an 8” Anaconda. I had a Leupold 4x scope on it and chest holster and wore Pachmayr grips. It was a decent gun, but I do prefer S&W for refinement and Ruger for character and ruggedness. One thing that stuck with me when I had it decades ago was when I had a gunsmith do an action job on it, he complained about it being full of sintered metal parts and wasn’t as good as earlier Pythons. I haven’t seen that guy since and can’t attest to the lock work of the original Anaconda, but I did think I was getting a little forcing cone erosion before I thought I should have. I agree that Colt is likely making a different gun but banking on the old snake name, but I hope the new version will be better. I might even buy one if it is!