Do you have any guns in your house?

This Area is for Relaxing and Discussing Issues for Any Subject on Your Mind So Long as it is in Good Taste.

Moderator: Moderators

buckeyeshooter
Buckeye

Re: Do you have any guns in your house?

Post by buckeyeshooter »

blume357 wrote:but the real issue is why would it matter that you have guns in your home? I understand that someone could use the collection of the information to their motivated ends (anti gun) but the other side is if everyone answers 'no' then that could be just as bad. I personally believe in the truth.... what a lot of folks have a hard time realizing is that scientific study has always been flawed... and always will. We are not perfect and even super smart scientist are not.... we all tend to want to believe what we want to believe and not believe things we don't want to believe. (now that is one long crazy sentence.) I need to drink some coffee......
Unfortunately, the info is not being used for scientific research. The AMA and many other medical groups are anti gun. I, of course, sold all of mine years ago.
Armybrat
Buckeye

Post by Armybrat »

I’ve been on Medicare for 12 years and have never been asked that question.
Nor about smoke detectors.
gramps
Hawkeye

Post by gramps »

Quite frankly, all the information you give is protected by HIPPA. Each violation will cost you $75,000
gramps
NRA Patron Member
Tn firearms association: http://www.tfaonline.org
Achigan
Single-Sixer

Post by Achigan »

I'm not as deep into this as others are, but isn't our gun ownership status recorded every time we purchase a gun legally?
contender
Ruger Guru

Post by contender »

When we purchase a gun from a FFL,, the FFL keeps records,, and they are subject to review by the ATF for criminal purposes. BUT,, after so many years,, even the form 4473 can be destroyed. If a gun shop goes out of business,, then their records are turned into the ATF.
However,, there is a law on the books that says that the government can not keep info on gun buyers like a "registration" scheme.
I'm not a FFL,, but I know the total details of this is available.
I know one dealer who's been at it a long time,, who every year,, he destroys the oldest records that he can,, legally.
Shoot straight and safe!

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
US Army Huey crewchief 1976-1979
Friends of the NRA committee & chairman
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA "When it mattered!"
jimd441
Buckeye

Post by jimd441 »

Another reason the ATF can review the records of FFLs is a routine (or for cause) audit. It is focused on chain of custody; reconciliation of records of guns received, records of guns sold, and existing inventory. The key here is review of records, not removing copies of records.

As Contender alluded, record information may be retained by ATFin the case of a criminal investigation, e.g. when a gun used in a crime is retrieved.

Jim
volshooter
Hunter

Post by volshooter »

I've been asked every bi-annual visit for at least 3 years. Not on Medicare. I've always responded "that has nothing to do with why I'm here and none of your business.
Forgiven, housebroke but not domesticated, tread lightly.
wiz1997
Single-Sixer

Post by wiz1997 »

My Dad, prior to his passing in 2014, was asked the "do you have guns in your home" question by an assistant of some sort, when at the VA for a check up.

He told her, in no uncertain terms, it was none of her business.

She said if he didn't answer the question the doctor would not see him.

According to my Mom, Dad laid into the young lady pretty hard.
Explaining to her that he was a WWII Veteran and was not going to put up with this kind of BS.

He apparently said enough to get her crying, and she left the room.

Doctor came in and settled Dad down.

Dad asked the doctor if he was going to ask that same @#$/&€£ question.
Doctor apparently replied, it was not necessary.

This occured at the VA in Houston.
blume357
Hawkeye

Post by blume357 »

My only point in this discussion is it seems that for some they are afraid of others finding out they own a gun as if this is some kind of bad thing.

Is not concealing the fact that you own a gun in a way making it appear as something 'wrong'?
Blume
CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet
bobski
Hunter

Post by bobski »

guns? what are guns?
blackhawknj
Hawkeye

Post by blackhawknj »

Sounds like a policy has been established not backed up by legislation or legally binding regulations, but it has become SOP to ask that question.
A phrase I often heard in my Army days was "No Need To Know" and that covered everything from classified information to your favorite brand of toothpaste. On another board there was a discussion of proudly displaying firearms, the gun cabinet that was a shop project, etc. Several members noted that with the increase in population density, changes in family patterns-kids coming home to an empty house, growth in single parent families, etc. much greater discretion was required in displaying firearms, letting others know you own them-"My dad has..."
Endowment Member NRA
contender
Ruger Guru

Post by contender »

"My only point in this discussion is it seems that for some they are afraid of others finding out they own a gun as if this is some kind of bad thing.

Is not concealing the fact that you own a gun in a way making it appear as something 'wrong'?'

Politicians, as well as the many anti-gun people who want to stop gun ownership, know that by law they can not get a registration of people who own guns, (according to the federal laws.) Yet, we have many politicians, media types, doctors, the CDC, (remember they had their firearm research funding cut,) etc. who are using whatever they can to do an end run around the federal laws. By asking such questions, if you reply "yes," and the doctors see any potential "mental issues," then they can report it, and you may be subjected to confiscation of your guns,, under DIFFERENT laws. Have a person adjudicated with a mental issue,, and viola,, guns are gone. And PTSD,,, is considered a mental issue,,,,,,,,,!
I'm seeing Vets get approved for PTSD who are in their 70's,, (Vietnam,) and it's going on their records. All it'd take is an anti-gun doctor,, to decide that they are mentally unstable enough to warrant the removal of their firearms.

Just saying,,,,,,!
Shoot straight and safe!

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
US Army Huey crewchief 1976-1979
Friends of the NRA committee & chairman
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA "When it mattered!"
Kevin
Hawkeye

Post by Kevin »

gramps wrote:Quite frankly, all the information you give is protected by HIPPA. Each violation will cost you $75,000
gramps
This is something I’ve been curious about. Is it a HIPPA violation if the doctor submits just raw data without any personal information?

For example, if a doctor questions 100 patients and half have guns, can they submit this data without any names?
WendyZXZ
Hawkeye

Post by WendyZXZ »

blume357 wrote:My only point in this discussion is it seems that for some they are afraid of others finding out they own a gun as if this is some kind of bad thing.

Is not concealing the fact that you own a gun in a way making it appear as something 'wrong'?
Not in the least. Contender makes excellent points in his reply. Mine would be along the same lines as well to add such as Contender put up to having an attorney when questioned by the police. Some will ask why not talk, what do you have to hide? Mine take is no telling what I may say that may sound innocent but can be twisted around and the phrase of "used against you in a court of law.". You are not hiding anything by not talking without your lawyer, you are seeing that you are protected.
Believe you can and you’re halfway there.
mistermills357
Blackhawk

Post by mistermills357 »

I just say, "No, I don't".

I have the right, to not be a witness against myself. That's in the Fifth Amendment.