Following 'GOOGLE maps"

This Area is for Relaxing and Discussing Issues for Any Subject on Your Mind So Long as it is in Good Taste.

Moderator: Moderators

Mobuck
Hawkeye

Following 'GOOGLE maps"

Post by Mobuck »

The other thread about maps caused me to recall the conversation with some guys from Wisconsin about their trip to New Mexico.
They had followed the navigation suggestions on one guy's new Dodge pickup and it had taken them to some really weird places and had cost them a couple of harrowing hours in KC MO at rush hour. I've been on some very similar goose chases when riding with Son who often follows the Googler.
Maybe sort of OK when driving in some unknown city but does not do so well when heading from point A to point B half way across the state or country.
Maybe I'm odd but a good portion of the fun of traveling is searching out the route I want whether it's going past/through an area I've been before and liked or passing some spot I want to see.
Mobuck
Jimbo357mag
Hawkeye

Re: Following 'GOOGLE maps"

Post by Jimbo357mag »

They can make mistakes in the city as well. One time in Boca I was trying to find a condo building in a country club and when the thing said 'turn right' I did exactly that and the next thing I know I am on a golf cart path in the middle of a golf course. oooops
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men?"

The Shadow knows!
blume357
Hawkeye

Post by blume357 »

I love gps and use it everyday and of course you are right.... it can get you in trouble and take you the worse possible way.

I have to brag that I've been using gps in my business for probably over 25 years... I'm going to have to check my customer data base and figure out when I got my first gps unit. Here is the thing and it has to do with running your own business and being able to spend money that is tax deductible as you see fit. I bought a hand held gps unit made by Garmin, one of the first ones made commercially.... to get this unit up and running you had to enter in where you were... your exact location and the exact time and it would take about 5 minutes or more to figure out the satellites and know where it is.... with in about 90 yards. it also had to have a perfectly clear view of most of the sky... later on I got a device that allowed me to hook up to a laptop and merge with a road map.... the only issue when going down the road was when turning on the program you had to predict again where you were going to be 5 minutes or so later. It is amazing how these 'new' gps's work and how fast and accurate they are.
Blume
CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet
Kevin
Hawkeye

Post by Kevin »

Google Maps is definitely not a set it and forget it GPS that you can use to get across the country. We drove out to NM twice last summer and what I do is pick a city a few hours away, and keep resetting it from point to point.

Now they show the speed limit on the road as well as potential speed traps of police hiding behind signs and buildings. Not sure what the police think of it though.
MADDOG 521
Blackhawk

Post by MADDOG 521 »

Paper maps are still used by me and my navigator. My navigator is the best and she knows it.
Cholo
Hawkeye

Post by Cholo »

I've found Google Maps to be accurate 99.9+% of the time when used on an Android phone. The errors are usually small.

My daughter and I went to a concert in a suburb of Atlanta. The traffic was far worse than normal around Atlanta so we took back roads. At a roundabout it said to take the second exit to continue north on XXX. It should have said south.

I have unlimited data so I keep it on while traveling by 4 wheels. It will show a slow down ahead and how much time it will take to get through it. I've found the "Speed Trap Ahead" alert to be wrong 100% of the time. I think they get their real time info from Waze. It was probably right at some point, but someone has to enter the data that would say there is no longer a speed trap in that location.

I bought my 1st Garmin around '04--$900 :shock: and worth every penny getting my tech from A to B in the least amount of time. I bought a 2nd one for myself. Others I bought after that never held a candle to those pricey originals.
Kevin wrote:Google Maps is definitely not a set it and forget it GPS that you can use to get across the country.
I've found it is a set it and forget it, but I'm not doubting your experience with it. I've found it to be 99.9+% accurate all over the country. Android vs IPhone, perhaps?
Let's just sit here awhile and see what happens...
NRA Benefactor
www.GeorgiaCarry.org
bobski
Hunter

Post by bobski »

all the (im smarter than you) attendees that come to my shoot for the first time in mo, think my old fashioned written directions are dated on my website, so they use their gps siri thing. sure enough, siri gps thing doesnt know the difference between a paved road and dirt road that gets washed out or flooded over at river crossings.
when they get lost and the sun goes down well, i eat their left over hot dogs sitting on the bbq fire.
lol.
turd
Blackhawk

Post by turd »

I'm still a map person, although I have moved to Mapquest. I look and either remember or print the route. Never had a problem. I used GPS years ago for a trip to the Boston area. Got lost so many times I bought a map. :mrgreen:
32magfan
Blackhawk

Post by 32magfan »

I work for a Pedigree chicken company that provides parent stock birds to companies like Perdue, Tyson, Pilgrim’s, etc. One of the farms I visit regularly is at the end of a dead end road up in a holler where there used to be a logging road (60 or 70 years ago) that went on around and out of the holler. We would give detailed and accurate directions to drivers and vendors about how to get to this farm along with a very stern warning NOT to follow GPS. Numerous folks told us the address was wrong or didn’t exist until we had to go back to the nearest town and lead them there like school children. It wasted a lot of time I didn’t have to lose. I’m glad I am not in the same role anymore to have to deal with that stuff. I think they finally got the map straight since there are trees as big as a person growing in that “road” the computer says is there. :roll:
I will never fully trust GPS…
32Magfan
"Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." Abraham Lincoln
NRA Benefactor
Enigma
Hunter

Post by Enigma »

I worked for a utility company for a brief period, and that took me all over several counties. Our laptops had a streets and maps program, and we had utility company maps. The utility company maps were far more efficient than the computer program. Since then, I have used several GPS navigator programs on my phone. The one I have used the most is Waze. Waze is pretty good in the US, but not so swift here in Korea. If you travel from point A to B three separate times, it will take you three different routes. It has improved some in the past five years that I've been using it, but it can still be an adventure to use!
This ain't New Zealand. Just saying.
blume357
Hawkeye

Post by blume357 »

The Garmin gps I use is a couple years old and since Greenville S.C. and the area around it is a boom town there are on occasion new streets that aren't on it. 200 - 500 home subdivisions show up in about 6 months. So, sometimes I have to ask Seri on my i-Phone to find the address... she is pretty amazing with the directions.
Blume
CSIA #599 DCS

"Don't ever think the reason I'm peaceful
is because I don't know how to be violent."

"I'd rather Die while I'm Living than live while I'm Dead"... Jimmy Buffet
Dan in MI
Hunter

Post by Dan in MI »

My biggest objection to map apps is you can't really plan a long a trip and have a clue where you are going. You only get snippet views and have to trust it as you go.

My uncle taught me to read a map when I was 7 as we cruised the country. I guess I'm too old school.
Mobuck
Hawkeye

Post by Mobuck »

Coming home through Kansas City, the driver's phone went spastic with lights and beeper. Then a notice popped up that the next intersect had a red light camera. That was an interesting event as it had never happened to him before.
My problem with the whole thing was I had put the entire trip directory on my phone and apparently it got lost somewhere between Great Bend and Dodge City and didn't 'find itself' until 2 days later. I had a map but it was too 'general' to even show several of the roads we were using. I used to be able to memorize the routes and turns but that no longer can be depended on.
Mobuck
bobski
Hunter

Post by bobski »

i can get to mo from ct by memory. only thing i cant do i predict traffic jams.
BrassMagnet
Bearcat

Post by BrassMagnet »

I have made many trips to Missouri lately. Maps (app) can take you there, but on the first couple of trips took me through Wichita on surface streets which included dirt roads through construction zones. It drove me crazy! It even updated my route to take me on I-70 when I specified Hwy 50. Luckily, I knew not to fall for that. That trip Maps was nearly totally useless. I finally turned it off and left it off!
Maps really irritates me when it wants me to detour to a different route to save time. I have taken to ignoring it, but noting the ETA time before and after I ignore the detour. One detour in eastern Colorado was supposedly going to save me one minute.
Maps can remind you not to miss a turn, but you really do need to know all of the highway changes on your route.
I still might delete the map app from my phone.
Colorado relocating to Missouri.