Wanted: Ruger .22LR cylinder

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bonehouse

Bearcat
I recently purchased a beautiful .22 Ruger revolver with a 9.5" barrel used for $250. It came with a Magnum cylinder in it and I would love to find the .22LR cylinder for it since LR ammo is literaly 1/4th of the cost of magnum ammo. Does anyone know where I might find one of these? Also, is it safe to fire .22LR through the gun using the magnum cylinder?

It looks exactly like this one

right_grass.jpg

Except with an obscenely long barrel 8)

Redhawk4

Single-Sixer
I don't know where to point you for a 22LR cylinder or what's involved in getting it set up for your gun, but I do know not to fire LR in the magnum cylinder under any circumstances. I heard of someone doing it by mistake and the difference in cylinder dimensions caused the cases to split when fired

G2

Hunter
You can send the gun to Ruger and they will sell and fit the cylinder for you. ~$140

Or you can post a "Want to Buy" in the classifieds here and be a little patient and one will come along. Doing this you will need to know the measurements of your current cylinder to make sure the doner cylinder will work or can be made to work. ~$75 but you will need to know what your doing or have a gunsmith fit it for you, sometimes you get lucky and it just drops in...sometimes.

DO NOT shoot LR in a Magnum cylinder, Bad Idea.

.22lr .224
.22WMR .240

If that's your gun while it is at Ruger they will do the rear sight replacement too, or I might have one if you do indeed need to aquire one. Sorry no LR cylinder at this time. You need a .22lr New Model Cylinder if you decide to post a WTB.

G2

Hunter
OK to be a bit more specific.

.22LR vs .22WMR
.223 bullet dia .224 +/-.001
.225 neck dia .240
.225 base dia .241
.275 rim dia .291
.040 rim thick .046
.590 case length 1.052
.985 total length 1.350

The .22lr and the .22mag use VERY different bullet (cartridge) designs. The .22mag has the bullet held in the case in the "conventional" manner, while the .22lr has what is called a "heeled" bullet. The forward part of the bullet is the same dia. as the outside of the case, and the base which is a bit smaller, is crimped into the mouth of the case.

AND then this is a good technical read; http://www.saami.org/Publications/208.pdf

bonehouse

Bearcat
I just had the prece quoted by ruger and yup, it will be around $145 bucks to get the LR cylinder.

I WILL NOT SHOOT LR THROUGH THE MAG CYLINDER.

My problem is this: The gun cost me $265, the LR cylinder will cost $145, the total cost of the gun is then $410. A BRAND SPANKIN NEW one is going for around $400-$500. Considering the wear to the blueing on my gun it's not all that great of a deal...

If I post a wanted ad the cylinder will cost about $75, and taking it to a gunsmith will be ... whatever it is to install it. I'm considering just forgetting about the LR cylinder all together! I guess this project will have to go on the back burner for awhile =(

as said above, give us a measurement of the cylinder that is NOW in YOUR gun, measure it over all, from end to end....this will help you from buying the 'wrong" ( too short) ,save you time and money............

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
I think there are a few articles in the gunsmithing forum that talks about how others have fit their cylinders. I fitted a 45 acp to a 45c Vaquero quite easily. I would follow rugerguy's suggestion.

maxpress

Buckeye
so one poster wants a 22lr cylinder and the poster below him wants a 22mag cylinder. each one has what the one the other wants. hmmmmmm....what to do, what to do..........