? about reloaders?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

NCMountains

Bearcat
Not nescessarily going to get into reloading but if I were I would think a progressive stage reloader which if I understand correctly once you have your brass; lead; powder; & primers all ready to go you simply pull the handle and all the components are added automatically. In turn, a ready to use round.

Is this correct?

If so which are the most reliable brands of reloaders? I have heard of Dillon; Lee; RCBS; and such.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
Yes, you're basically correct. You feed a round of brass in, pull the handle, and a finished round pops out.

For starting out, a single stage press is a much better idea. It will let you perfect your technique and get a better understanding of the process, while letting you observe each individual step, instead of watching 3 or 4 at once. It will potentially save you from some very dangerous (or deadly) mistakes. Plus single stage presses are cheap.

Lee are the least expensive. Their single stage and turret presses (in between single stage and progressive) are good, and well worth the money. Once you move up to progressive, Dillon is about the best.

Your first step should be to read the "interested in reloading" thread at the top of this section, followed by reading 1 or preferably 2 good reloading manuals. Read the manuals before you buy anything.

Cholo

Staff member
"For starting out, a single stage press is a much better idea."

I agree! Learn the basics of reloading quality ammo before moving on to the progerssives. I like RCBS, others prefer another brand. I know RCBS loads a quality bullet every time if I do my part. I don't shoot hundreds of reloads at a time. For me a single stage press works best. If I ever shoot hundreds of the same load every time, I'd consider a Dillon. I don't see that happening in the near future. I like the simplicity of a single stage press with the amount I shoot. To each his own...

I actually enjoy reloading, so a single stage press isn't a handicap for me.

contender

Ruger Guru
Basically, you are correct in your assumption of how a progressive loader works. However, it all depends. Dillon is THE company to deal with in progressive machine. But within each model, the steps are a little different.
A Square Deal B requires you to insert an empty case, AND add a bullet to the primered & charged case. It auto indexes the shells to each station.
The same goes for the 550 except it doesn't auto index. The 650 with the case feed assy only requires the adding of the bullet. I can't remember about the 1050.
Now, if you are thinking about reloading, I too will strongly advise you to consider the single stage set-ups as it makes the learning curve much less frustrating. Yes, progressives are VERY nice, but as a reloader of over 30 years, I can attest to the fact a person needs to learn the basics first before using a progressive.
If you want more instruction, and are near Lake Lure, I'd be glad to offer my assistance.

bearing01

Bearcat
I got this Lee Classic Press - Reloader kit. I love it. It's great and at a great price. When you get the hang of it you can probably reload almost as fast as a progressive press. You just have to install the primers manually.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtop ... c&start=21

You can start the thread at the beginning and see the conversation if you wish.
http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtop ... sc&start=0

Reloading your own ammo and learning the ballistics of it adds a whole new level / layer to the sport. It's not just about pulling the trigger and putting a hole in the middle of the paper.

Ruber

Single-Sixer
I also would like to add that single stage presses are not just for beginners. It is worth getting something on the high quality but inexpensive end (i.e. a nice single stage press) to start with until you figure out your methods.

For example, I'll tumble my brass then size and decap, then I need to clean the primer pockets so the progressive won't work for that step. After priming but before charging, I like to inspect the primers, so the progressive won't work for that step. Well then, it's just charging and seating/crimping and for charging, I use measures and powders that don't work out all that well in the progressive..... However, if you are getting all new components, the progressives can really shine!

So I'd also recommend a nice single stage press, you might wind up using it 30 years later! I happen to use RCBS, it works and that's what my dad used and ....

Be safe and enjoy!

sturmenater

Bearcat
my grandfather bought a rcbs rockchucker my dad used it now i am using it would not know how to use one of those fancy progressive presses also three generations on one rock chucker tells me there reliable

Rick Courtright

Hawkeye
Hi,

Another confirmed single stager here...

A new loader has a LOT to learn. Even after 40+ yrs of doing this, I still learn something new every time I sit down at the bench, and I'd feel confident in saying I'm not alone.

Progressive loaders are nice, but are not the best of choices for a beginner who should be learning step by step what each operation does, and why, and needs to be building a quality control regimen that ensures all his ammo is safe before anything else.

Some people have started right out on a progressive and done well. However, looking at all the "boo boos" that showed up on our range over the years I ran it, I can say that far more of them came from progressive machines than single stages. There are probably two main reasons for that: inattention, and less than stellar mechanical abilities. A person who's mechanically inclined will take to a progressive much easier than someone who has to tell himself "Righty tighty, lefty loosey" every time he picks up a screwdriver. ;)

As already mentioned, there will ALWAYS be some chore that you'll want a single stager for even if you do go the progressive route in the future, so buying one out front is NOT wasted money.

Any chance you know someone who can let you "sit in" for a session or two at his bench? Having a mentor standing right behind you is a wonderful learning experience, and it lets you get at least a little feel for some of the equipment before you have to lay out any of your own cash.

Even if you don't, start reading long before you plan on buying anything. There are tons of manuals out there, most all of 'em good, but for a guy who's trying to learn the actual "Step One, do this..." kinds of things, I've found the Lyman Handbooks, Lee's "Modern Reloading" and "The ABCs of Reloading" can all be helpful. (All are available online if you can't fine 'em locally.) None is perfect, so read many if you can, and start to build up a reference library.

Good luck!

Rick C

john guedry

Single-Sixer
I started about 15yrs ago on a turret press and graduated to a single stage,kinda' backwards by some peoples thinking but I use 'em both. Knowing what I know now I would have bought a Rockchucker and been quite happy.

NCMountains

Bearcat
Well it looks like a single stager would be the order. Let me throw this at you guys.................I want to load .357/.38 which I assume would be the same??????? If so and I was to get a single stager, tell me what all I need minus primers; bullets; and brass to start reloading.

If you can point me to link(s) that would be nice. I am just unsure what all one needs minus the press to start out basic.

Also, to contender, I am near you. I live north Buncombe so I may take you up on the offer.

bearing01

Bearcat
You could get the kit I bought, that I linked above. You can convert it to single stage by simply removing the rod that automatically turns the top turret aluminum disk. The kit doesn't come with the dies for 38/357. You buy that separately for around $40. If you were to have plane old single stage then you have to install each separate die, line it up / position it properly, then run all your brass through that stage of the loading. Then remove that die and install the next one, line it up, run the brass through, etc.. for all 3 or 4 stages of the complete reload. With the turret press you put in your dies and line them up.. then you won't have to line them up again. If you want to go back and redo one of the stages you don't have to pull dies out and put new ones in. You just spin the aluminum turret disk by hand to position the die you want to use above the ram.

Reinstall the turret rod and for each pull of the lever the rod automatically rotates the turret disk to line up the next die for the next stage of the operation.

Except for the dies, the kit comes with everything you need - tool wise, except for a set of calipers you need to measure the cartridge length.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1

Top of my head, you need:

The press
Powder scale
Primer installer
Powder thrower/measurer (red hopper thingy on top)
The dies for the caliber you want to reload.

Then there's other stuff like:
Brass case trimmer
Brass media tumbler - for cleaning the brass (to prevent damaging your carbide crimping die)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgF_FZ-DD9g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwx-kpLzX-4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEzQXtzxhLA

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I love my Lee Turret press. But I started out with an RCBS Rockchucker single stage kit, and I think that's an excellent place to start. The kit comes with a lot of little accessories that you will need anyway, and if purchased separately will far exceed the cost of the kit. I'm not sure if Lee has such a starter kit available. Things like powder funnels, case mouth prep tools, etc. One thing about reloading: There's always some little gadget or tool you "need", or that would make things easier. You can go nuts looking through the Sinclair catalog.

-- Sam

contender

Ruger Guru
NCMountain; Anytime I can help, feel free to contact me. EXCEPT that for the next 5 weeks, deer season will be occupying a lot of my time. (I live in Rutherford Co. we have 5, not 3 weeks of season.)

Now, one set of dies will work for the 38/357 ammo. The only difference is the length settings. So, you'll need a press, (if you get the press w/o a priming system, you'll need a priming system,) dies, shell holder, powder measure, scale, and a couple of good reloading manuels. A few smaller items; powder funnel, loading block, notebook for keeping records, primer pocket cleaning tool, are a few things off the top of my head I can think of.

Predator2525

Bearcat
NCM, you didn't state the reason for reloading? cost,accuracy,ballistics, etc. that does have an effect somewhat. I can't answer for the other brands since I've only used RCBS for 35 years. But if you're thinking for cost, then progressive would be the way to go after initial understanding of the loading. For accuracy however, I've always felt the only way to go is single stage. My concentration is on only one stage at a time, hence "single stage". As stated before, there is always something new to learn about it. The individual steps are basic, but the options of those steps can make a big difference. As Contender stated earlier, the 38/357 dies are the same except length, but dont make the mistake of mixing the two. Otherwise you may end up crushing cases or breaking dies, or worse. Others have made that mistake. Good Shootin' and good reloadin'

Well,
I started with Rock Crusher that was given to me. Still load 45-70 on it
I then bought a Dillon 650 and later the case feeder. Was just taking to long to load with the RCBS for Cowboy shooting.

So IMHO I would take the money spent on the single stage and buy a 650 to start with. I have probably loaded over 300,000 rounds for myself and others on the 650 no problems.
If you buy the Video and PAY attention to the instructions it is realllllllllllllllll hard to screw up with a 650. With the safety features like the powder check and low primer warning.
Case in point, my neighbor never did reloading and bought a 650 about 4 years ago. Has had no problems loading 338,30-06 and CAS 38/357
I load a LOT of 38 and 357. The worse the happens when you mix them on a 650 is the 357 bells real big :oops: and the 38 bullet sticks out real far :oops: Don't ask how I know :roll:
Jim

NCMountains

Bearcat
Great links! Thanks. So the turret press can be used as a single stager or a multi-station????

bearing01":2cvlp97d said:
You could get the kit I bought, that I linked above. You can convert it to single stage by simply removing the rod that automatically turns the top turret aluminum disk. The kit doesn't come with the dies for 38/357. You buy that separately for around $40. If you were to have plane old single stage then you have to install each separate die, line it up / position it properly, then run all your brass through that stage of the loading. Then remove that die and install the next one, line it up, run the brass through, etc.. for all 3 or 4 stages of the complete reload. With the turret press you put in your dies and line them up.. then you won't have to line them up again. If you want to go back and redo one of the stages you don't have to pull dies out and put new ones in. You just spin the aluminum turret disk by hand to position the die you want to use above the ram.

Reinstall the turret rod and for each pull of the lever the rod automatically rotates the turret disk to line up the next die for the next stage of the operation.

Except for the dies, the kit comes with everything you need - tool wise, except for a set of calipers you need to measure the cartridge length.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... ISO-8859-1

Top of my head, you need:

The press
Powder scale
Primer installer
Powder thrower/measurer (red hopper thingy on top)
The dies for the caliber you want to reload.

Then there's other stuff like:
Brass case trimmer
Brass media tumbler - for cleaning the brass (to prevent damaging your carbide crimping die)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgF_FZ-DD9g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vwx-kpLzX-4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEzQXtzxhLA

NCMountains

Bearcat
I think the turret press is the way to go then. Thanks guys and a special thanks to bearing01 for pointing this out and linking me to the turret press.

bearing01

Bearcat
You also want to get yourself a bullet puller - to undo and fix the rounds you screw up.

If you're getting this stuff at Cabela's then :

Lee Classic Turret Press Kit
Item number: XK - 216337
$189.99

LEE Deluxe Pistol 4-Die Set 38 SPCL
Item number: 9IS - 214611
$36.99

Cabela's Bullet Puller w/4 Collets
Item number: XK - 214931
$15.99

Right now Cabela's has free shipping for orders over $100. Promo code is : 9CHRISTMAS

If you got a Harbor Freight near by, run in and get some measurement calipers:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... umber=7914
or
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=99639
You're not going to get them cheaper anywhere else - and they're good enough for this type of work.

Boxhead

Blackhawk
I would look at the latest Hornady progressive press. I just bought one after a lot of research and reading of reviews (the Midway site has a number of reviews from users of various presses as well). I found a number of folks that went from the Dillon 550 to the Hornady. I will set it up in a couple weeks when I arrive back home. I too believe that one does not have to start with a single stage press if bulk loading is in the works.