Guess the 480R is gone... :(

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Not in the 2010 catalog: Super Redhawk in 480Ruger, or any other gun. I keep looking...

Ruger is forcing me to consider other makers again.

:shock: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Redhawk4

Single-Sixer
Davidsons is showing 7 of the 7 1/2" available and 6 of the 9 1/2" models available, thet say they are on sale, so I guess these are the last.
'

BlkHawk73

Hunter
Ppl get upset when what they want is discontinued. Where were they before the model disappeared? All I can really think of is "you snooze, you lose" but hate saying that to a fellow Ruger Forum member. Bottom line, they simply are not big sellers. They're easily found if you look , especially on used shelves. Just because it's not cataloged doesn't mean the ones they made have all somehow vanished.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
SteveRuger":1tqba3b3 said:
They will be exspensive when found.

Not necessarily. Price is all a supply & demand thing. There's not enough demand to keep them in production so in turn the price will be effected reflecting that - hence Davidson's having them on sale. ;)

SAJohn

Hunter
Sometimes odd thigs happen when Ruger discontinues a firearm. I can remember when the Hawkeye pistols used to set on dealers shelves gathering dust for literally years because none of us wanted such an ugly duckling.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
Davidsons had hundreds of these on sale for months on end. I thought about one for a while but honestly I am settling into the 45 Colt as my go-to cartridge and if I want more then that I have the 454 Super Redhawk.

There are lots of these 480s out there, if you want one just buy it but I would buy a case of brass and perhaps a good bullet mold too as who knows how available brass will be in the future. 1000 or 2000 casings would likely be a lifetime supply for most of us for a big bore like this.

Aggie01

Blackhawk
Jack Huntington is building a .480 for me on a Vaquero. :)

I bet it's cheaper than a .480 redhawk by this time next year.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
SteveRuger":3e7c4jyz said:
There is one in Tulsa.It is a SuperRedhawk Alaskan 480 5 shot a little birdie just told me! J/S
[/quote]

Knowing sources estimate only 25 or so were ever boxed & shipped. I'd bet someone is laying out a "special" pile 'o cash for that 5-Shot Alaskan!

As for SRH guns, I have my three. ;) But I should probably get another for my grandkids.

Aggie01

Blackhawk
I heard a story about a 6 shot redhawk converted to .475 linebaugh that handled 40K psi loads. Since I can't prove it, and I won't reveal my source, isnt that a great fairy tale :)?

lovesrugers

Bearcat
mohavesam":2u3coe1k said:
Not in the 2010 catalog: Super Redhawk in 480Ruger, or any other gun. I keep looking...

Well there is still one chambering of the 480 Ruger in the new catalog but it isn't a handgun. Check out page 41 of the catalog and the Ruger No. 1 medium sporter. Chambering in 475 Linebaugh/480 Ruger is available.

Jerry

azrugershooter

Single-Sixer
lovesrugers":5ycajfpr said:
mohavesam":5ycajfpr said:

Well there is still one chambering of the 480 Ruger in the new catalog but it isn't a handgun. Check out page 41 of the catalog and the Ruger No. 1 medium sporter. Chambering in 475 Linebaugh/480 Ruger is available.

Jerry

I laughed when I saw that a year or 2 ago. What a waste of a No.1 action. :roll:

Ppl get upset when what they want is discontinued. Where were they before the model disappeared?

Sorry, but that's not what happened in this case.

I wanted a .480 Alaskan. I wanted one from when I read Jeff's review. But they only made a limited amount before they went on to production of the .454 version. (I'm talking the original six shot versions.) I looked around but they were nowhere to be found. I came here and asked. The consensus was that Ruger made these sorts of things in batches. They would make a whole bunch of 454's and then back to the 480's. So I waited. Then Ruger announced the .44 Mag version. And they put them into production. So months of waiting again. Sooner or later they will start making the 480 version again.

Then word comes out that there is a design problem with the six shot .480's and they are going to make them as five shots instead. Perfectly fine with me. Months go by. Still no guns. Not a one. Then word comes that they are shipping. Bud's actually had one. One. I didn't get it but hey, there will be more. Then word comes out that they are being discontinued due to poor sales. Well, how in the xxxxxxx world do you expect to sell something that nobody could xxxxxxx get?!?!?!?!?

So at the end of all this waiting, I got squat. Still have no Alaskan of any type. And I don't need somebody asking "where was I when they were in production" with their superior little attitude!! Yes, I'm hot. I'm hot at Ruger for finally making a gun that I really wanted to buy. But then not actually making it. (Or just making 25, whatever.)

Gregg

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
The Super Redhawks did not sell! The Alaskans are tough to find but the 7.5-inch and 9.5-inch 480 Super Redhawks were sitting everywhere and had to be marked down for them to move as near as I can tell.

If you want an alaskan, just buy a 7.5-inch Super Redhawk in 480 and cut the barrel down. The 480 Super Redhawks are still plenty cheap.

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =146319991
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =146276352
http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.a ... =146453161

I would not be surprised if Ruger does more batches of these in the future as distributor exclusives as well, but with Ruger who knows...

Perhaps a 5-shot 475 Linebaugh/480 Ruger Super Redhawk might be possible too :wink: I think Ruger could use a bigger stick in a world that is filled with crazy magnum happy folk. I doubt I would buy it, but it seems like a logical gun to me if the 5-shot 480 is strong enough.

kk9z

Bearcat
There shouldn't be a shortage of the 9 1/2" for quite a while.

We have 15 of the 7 1/2", and 402 of the 9 1/2" on hand at the moment.

Actually, I do hope there is a shortage! That would mean that we would have sold all of these 9 1/2" I bought...

Thanks,
Kent

Boxhead

Blackhawk
Buy a BFR 475/480 and don't look back. They can be had for a bargain of late and are of very high quality. I won't argue BFR quality vs. Ruger but I do have a view. :D I gave $500 or so for a NIB base gun.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
lovesrugers":1gwtboya said:
mohavesam":1gwtboya said:

Jerry

I was thinking about Ruger handguns. The 480R should be excellent when handloaded in the long barrel, but factory loads are engineered for shorter barrels. That said, the No. 1 is more of a novelty gun marketing (ala the 357Magnum No 1) niche, I just don't see ten thousand shooters dishing out that much $ for such a combo?

-And Ruger, I don't WANT a 475 Linebaugh! Do they even 'get' the reasons the 480R was developed???

I remember when CDNN had the BFR's in .475/480 for $499. I should have jumped on that deal. Next catalog, they were gone! Could have cut one down flush with the ERH and had a nice gun.

Yes, I'm aware that the long barreled SRH's are still out there. I've considering buying one of those. But it isn't that simple. You can't just "buy one and cut off the barrel" to have an Alaskan. At the very least, you have to have some nifty gunsmithing done to cut a dovetail and mount a front sight. Unless you are only going to use your Alaskan for point shooting! And I really don't like the look of the factory SRH finish. Standard stainless looks better to me.

So if I had a choice..... it would be a lot easier to buy an Alaskan from the factory for $650 than to buy a SRH for $650 plus then pay some $xxx.xx worth of gunsmithing. And when it was done, it would be strictly a custom gun. And we all know that custom guns aren't worth as much as the money you put into them. It just makes more sense all the way around to buy what you want from the factory. Of course that seems like a lost cause now....

Sorry I was a bit grumpy before but somebody stepped on a pet peeve!

Gregg

The Super Redhawks did not sell! The Alaskans are tough to find but the 7.5-inch and 9.5-inch 480 Super Redhawks were sitting everywhere and had to be marked down for them to move as near as I can tell.

That may very well be true. But it seems to me that it was dishonest of the factory to claim the same was true of the .480 Alaskan. It would have been _nice_ if they would have actually manufactured them for six months or something! I _never_ actually saw a 480 Alaskan in a gun store or at a gun show. Lots of 454's and .44's but never the 480. But when you complain, you are told they had poor sales!

Gregg