converted or not converted....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ready05

Bearcat
On a 3 screw super blackhawk, how can you tell if the lockwork has been converted or not ? thanks

c.r.

Single-Sixer
probably the easiest way is to look and see if it has a transfer bar installed. Or at least that's the only way "I" can tell.

~c.r.

edit.....I also believe, if it happens to be a 3 screw SBH you're looking at, I believe when they conversion was done, the traditional SBH hammer, was replaced with the taller "Blackhawk"/traditional SAA hammer.

I'm sure someone will post pictures soon, but until then . . .

If the face of the hammer is flat, it is the original, not converted.

If the face of the hammer has a "step" in it, it's a conversion hammer.

Also, of course, in a converted gun there will be a transfer bar device down in there between the hammer and the firing pin, as c.r. mentions.

:D

Edit . . . Dang it c.r. you're right about that. The Super Blackhawk conversion hammer is just a regular flat-sided Blackhawk style without the nice wide thumb piece of an OM Super hammer.

flatgate

Hawkeye
Converted OM Supers have smooth triggers. Original OM Supers have grooved triggers.

Converted OM Rugers have New Model base pins that have a spring loaded plunger on the end. OM Rugers have solid steel base pins w/o the plunger.

As mentioned by others, inspecting the hammer is the easiest way to tell.......

flatgate

All Ruger Vaqueros are shipped from The Factory with transfer bars.

If your guns don't have them, they have been removed, and the actions modified accordingly.

Your guns, your choice.

:?

TDF

Single-Sixer
flatgate":1nduv988 said:
Converted OM Supers have smooth triggers. Original OM Supers have grooved triggers.

Not all SBH conversion triggers are smooth. We've had this discussion before. Check your parts bin flatgate I think you'll find one in there.

TDF