Blackhawk/Super Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RonEgg

Blackhawk
I should know the answer to this question, but my head isn't working well today. In the gallery section I have posted pictures of two Bisleys I just picked up this week from Clements. Last night I noticed one is marked Blackhawk and the other Super Blackhawk. What gives?

c.r.

Single-Sixer
Howdy Ron,

the super blackhawk is the 44, correct? and the BH is the 45 Colt?

I think the reason why the SBH/BH markings is........... you can only get the 44 in a SBH, so they just use the SBH stamped frames to make a bisely.

45s are offered only as a BH's, so they just snag a BH frame to make the 45 bisleys.

Or at least that my logic. :? I came up with this when i was looking on Ruger's website at the date of build for different models

~c.r.

RonEgg

Blackhawk
Thanks c.r. that makes sense. Also I was thinking that the 45 has the billboard underneath and the 44 had it on the side before it was removed.

c.r.

Single-Sixer
I believe where the billboard is located on the new models depends on when the gun was produced. I'm not sure of the dates, but it was only w/in the past year or so they started putting the billboard under the barrel...........maybe longer, maybe less

again not sure about that time line, but i think y'all know what i mean.

~c.r.

Axehandle

Buckeye
Beware... The idea the the Super Blackhawk is the 44 Mag works good until you see a 41 Super Blackhawk and a 45 Super Blackhawk.. Don't immediately think you have fallen off the deep end... These are from the Hunter series.... 41, 45, and 44 Super Blackhawk Hunters....

007-3.jpg

006-5.jpg

008.jpg

RonEgg

Blackhawk
Thanks Axe, is that the only quirk? Was c.r. correct above, except for the hunter series, or are there some that get by in every type?

c.r.

Single-Sixer
man, just when you think you have things figured out.

that's interesting about the hunters.

Axehandle

Buckeye
Ha! You boys asking a Ruger newbie like me? Based on what I read in RENE and other Ruger references there can be and are exceptions to pretty much everything we think is a rule... Makes it even more fun..... :D

You guys note that compared to the 44 the name and caliber designation are inverted on the 41 and 45? I just did! :lol: :lol: :lol:

psyclone66

Single-Sixer
Axe-
At the risk of stating the obvious, I think your 44 Hunter roll marks are unique. I was shopping those recently and looked at lots of them online.
All the 44 Hunters and 44 Bisley Hunters I looked at were stamped typical.

RUGER .44 Magnum Cal.
New Model Super Blackhawk

I ended up with a .45 Hunter. 2009 vintage of so called "clean up" guns.
Figured I would get the scarcer caliber first. On the side:

RUGER .45 Caliber
New Model Blackhawk

So it sounds like roll stamp roulette to me.

StanMemTn

Single-Sixer
Axehandle":1y6xg4e9 said:
You guys note that compared to the 44 the name and caliber designation are inverted on the 41 and 45? I just did! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Any chance the .44 isn't a New Model like the others? That could perhaps explain the rollmark difference.

-Stephen

Latest posts