Black SR9, Pictures and peening

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mekender

Single-Sixer
ok so i picked up my new SR9 this past Saturday... cleaned it on the spot and then went over to the range and went through 200rds of WWB...

zero FTEs, FTFs or anything else... its accurate enough... especially considering that my previous experience with 9mm handguns has been limited to range rentals, mostly glocks... the trigger is nice and smooth with a clean break... and i dare say that shooting the SR9 feels better than most of the other 9mm's i have fired... and it definitely feels more solid and durable to shoot than the glock 17

i really love the way the black finish looks, its so much nicer than a blued finish... its a nice slim profile with very few parts that stick out that could get snagged on clothing...

took some pictures

DSC_0269.jpg

DSC_0267.jpg

DSC_0268.jpg

DSC_0263.jpg

now my first 100rds were me just getting used to the gun... the second hundred, i used Shoot NC stick-ons over the first target... the first pic below is at 7 yards, the 2nd is 15... i also chalk my tighter group up to the fact that the 15 yard target was done after 150 rounds of me getting used to the gun...

DSC_0261.jpg

DSC_0262.jpg

as i was cleaning it tonight, i noticed that the front sight is off to the right of center by about 1/8" so im guessing that might have something to do with my grouping being off center... well that and the fact that im a poor shot in the first place...

here it is in the middle of the cleaning process

DSC_0255.jpg

also when i was cleaning it, i noticed some peening on the top of the barrel... its really small, perhaps 1/16" or so... so im going to put another 200rds through it tomorrow and see if it gets any worse... if it does, im gonna call Ruger on Monday...

you can see what i am talking about below

DSC_0258.jpg

DSC_0260.jpg

DSC_0265.jpg

DSC_0266.jpg

Jerry W

Bearcat
shaner":2kvw2djp said:
i was wondering that also ? was it like this before you began shooting it?
My barrel hood looks like that too and hasn't changed in over 400 rounds.

DMZ

Bearcat
shaner":1o05mw2l said:
i was wondering that also ? was it like this before you began shooting it?

Mine came that way. It was not from peening, it is a result of machining. I could Dremel it down, but my SR9 is for work not show.

RonS

Single-Sixer
That doesn't look right. I don't see how something that shape could be machined without a lot of extra work to make it that way. If it were a square shoulder, sure, but that looks like the metal has been hit and upset to me.

Back to the factory if it were mine.

mekender

Single-Sixer
no, it didnt come that way... you can directly see that it is a result of the slide and the barrel hitting together during cycling... like i said, im going to give it another 200 rounds today and see what happens... ill post pics if it gets worse

fivefold

Bearcat
Great pics and write up. I don't know about the peening, but that does not appear –to me at least – like something left over from manufacturing. I would definitely give Ruger a call on this one. You have the pics. Ask them for an email address and send it to them. Just my two cents.

DMZ

Bearcat
For the slide to peen up a berm of metal like that, the barrel would have to be made from pot metal or 80% silver.

I am thinking the CNC machine left that there.

cagedodger

Bearcat
DMZ":37j4liaw said:
For the slide to peen up a berm of metal like that, the barrel would have to be made from pot metal or 80% silver.

I am thinking the CNC machine left that there.

I'm thinking Ruger isn't using the best steel in it's barrels.

Cage

mscales

Bearcat
That is a SENDBACK for sure. Excellent job on the documentation. Maybe it is a good thing that the SR9 can't be sold in CA as of yet. They will get all the bugs worked out. If the gun came from Davidson's then it has a Lifetime Replacement Guarentee and they will send your FFL a pick up tag for free or $10 depending on how long you have had hte firearm. $10 is a great deal to ship it back to them for replacement.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
I am not really sure what that is. I find it a little odd, and I think I would have to see it in person and cycle the slide to know.

What really confuses me is that it appears that different parts of the barrel block have different thicknesses and shapes of deformation, yet it appears from the second picture from the bottom and fourth picture from the bottom that the front of the barrel lug still apprears to fit square and even to the slide.

I would think with the different thicknesses and shapes of deformation on the barrel lug that the lug slide fit would sow an uneven fit.

Charlie

Cheesewhiz

Hunter
I'm wondering if that barrel has enough "play" in it, with the slide retracted the barrel should tip up with some vertical play. You should also be able to hold the end of the barrel and move it back and forth about a 1/16". If you don't see either of these things, the slide will hit the front of the hood as it moves back because the barrel can't "roll" out of the way.

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Mine has about half that amount of peening. I think it might just be the nature of the beast. It is a four hundred dollar pistol how tight can tolerances be. I am not worrying about mine. It is not getting worse the pistol functions fine and is accurate enough. It had a tendency to shoot right but a sight adjustment fixed that.

RugerMarkIII

Bearcat
My barrel had slight peening in it. VERY SLIGHT. You really had to look to see it. What you are showing me is quite substantial and I would be sending it back ASAP.

DMZ

Bearcat
I am having a hard time understanding this because if you work the action of the pistol (with the mag out of course) there is no part of the slide that strikes the area in question to peen it when the slide is in full retraction, and when the slide returns to battery, that area simply falls back into the ejection slot.

Use a measure to see where the front part of the breech (the area where the metal is bermed up) is when the slide is fully retracted. It is not in contact with the front part of the slide. It can contact a shallow lip on the upper surface of the slide, but the recoil spring overcomes the inertia of the rearward travel of the slide before that contact is made.

In order for a ridge of metal (stainless steel) l to be peened up there at the front end of that breech, it would have to be, literally, red hot and be hit very hard.

I may be wrong, but I just can't get there. :D

JohnKSa

Single-Sixer
When the slide moves backwards in recoil, the barrel tries to stay in place due to inertia. The slide acts on the barrel through the locking surfaces to pull the barrel back in recoil with it. There's a significant amount of force applied.

SmokeJumper

Bearcat
You have documented it so well, I'd certainly retain the pics for a LONG while. However, I'd also call Ruger (oh lucky you trying to speak to Betty-Boop via phone). TELL them the amount is beyond what others report; don't let them play the 'stupid act' for you. INSIST it is abnormal based on physical documentation - as well as simple LOGIC.

Be nice - but VERY firm and express your gross concern from a "self protection" point of worry. Don't give up - don't scream or yell - simply remain focused on the FACTS.

There was another report of this same issue here on the board (as I recall). It's already noted within THIS VERY thread that you are not alone -- it's the degree of severity which may be a issue.

GOOD LUCK ............. keep us up to speed, OK?