markIII target problem....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
yesterday at the range i had 2 strange issues

first the bolt was open because i just finished one mag, put a new one in the gun. went to chamber the round and the bolt wouldn't close, looked like the bullet was hitting the feed ramp like it was suppose to.... i finaly got it to close after a minute and it shot fine till

and this happend twice last night * the gun was cleaned and lubed* with only about 30 rounds through it that night

i was about half way through a mag and i pulled the trigger and click.
i looked at the loaded chamber indicator and it wasn't up so i racked the slide after i hit the magazine to make sure it was seated.

it wouldn't push the next round into the chamber. finally after racking the slide a few times it took the cartridge and chambered it.
and this has happend a few times before, and on different magazines.

any ideas?

mattsbox99

Hunter
If the mag is seated completely, they won't feed. I recommend having the bolt open when inserting a new magazine. Some bullets don't work well, most notably the Remington Golden Bullet. I have mixed results with them, but I usually use a Federal or CCI bullet since I'm sponsored by them.

Correctly seating the magazine and switching ammo will likely solve any problems you have.

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
i was shooting federal which is all the gun has ever seen, ive owned the gun since christmas time, and have shot about 5000 rounds through it. the first 3000 were flawless ! then a little problem here or there now atleast one every range trip.

i know im cleaning and lubing the gun properly, so its not that. it is reassembled correctly each time.

the bolt WAS open when i put the new loaded magazine in, because it locks back after you empty a magazine, i always leave it open insert the new mag and then pull the bolt back to load the new cartrage.
nothing new.

safty wasn't on either.

im stumped

greener

Single-Sixer
Failure to feed on the first round in the mag as you described can be fixed by tilting the first round in the mag up rather than leaving it parallel to the other rounds.

What you are describing usually happens with hollow points. I've had it happen a few times, all with HP ammo.

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
that explanes the one problem thank you !

but what about halfway through a mag?

as said above, give the magazine a GOOD cleaning,may be getting bullet 'lube' caked up in th round part of th front /inside of the magazine body, a swab with a brush down the inside, while holding the follower all the way down this way no need to dis assemble the mag if you do not want to ( or know how to...)
yes, it can be LONG ammo dragging, it can be bent magazine lips at the top, and on and on........

dacaur

Single-Sixer
Ive only ever had that happen with Winchester lead hollow points. Its an inconvenience in my MK II, because I have to drop the mag to get the bullet out when it gets stuck on the feed ramp... It really sucks in my tube fed bolt because I have to pry the bullet out of the action when it guts stuck on the feed ramp like that.

2fast4u

Single-Sixer
the only thing the gun has shot are the Federal .22 that come from Walmart in the 550 rd pack. the first 3000 rds or so were fine then i started having the issues.
im going to try cleaning the magazines, i usually wipe them down, but they are not that hard to take apart or put back together so im going to clean them all.
thanks for the info everyone!

bullockdgmanor

Bearcat
Just as another input...my Mark III 678 Target seems to feed Federal bulk hollow-points just fine (not my preferred ammo, but bought some by mistake, thinking it was round nose...gotta read the fine print...). I'm pleased to not have any problems with it so far (about 300 rounds).

Dan

keen one

Bearcat
My MK III has the problem with the first round. Like stated earlier in the thread, insert a loaded magazine with the slide open, and use clean magazines.

Never once had the problem with a MK II. Just somthing else to watch.