New Vaquero Parts Interchangeability?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Greebe

Single-Sixer
Just curious if the Vaquero and Blackhawk parts are interchangeable with the New Vaquero.

I know that the cylinder and frames are a little smaller but how about the other parts?

For instance I am going to order a New Vaquero to build a 3-4 " short barreled sheriff out of. I would also like to change out the hammer to either a Bisley hammer or Super Blackhawk style hammer. I am also thinking of trying out a Birdshead grip.

Can you guys give me the scoop on parts interchangeability for the New Vaquero's?

Thanks a lot,
Greebe

flatgate

Hawkeye
I've limited experience but, the basics are this:

New Vaqueros are on the "mid sized" cylinder frame. Therefore the hammers are probably a bit shorter, the pawls are definitely a bit shorter and, obviously the cylinders and base pins are shorter.

Grip frames should be very similar sized to other similar guns, i.e. 50 th. Anniv. .357 and .44 Flattops and the Lipsey's .44 Specials.

Triggers should be kinda universal, as usual across the line.

JMHO and, no, I've NOT done much tinkering on these "lock" models...

flatgate

tek4260

Buckeye
The SBH and Bisely hammers will work. I have placed both in the mid size Rugers. However there are 2 problems I have found. The freespin pawl in mine doesn't quite retract as far back with the new hammer when the gate is open, and therefore I have 12 "clicks" per full cylinder rotation. Hasn't caused any issues as far as I can tell. The other is that the "hump" on the hammer of the New Vaquero is bigger than previous BH's. The SBH hammer will have a small gap at the intersection of the hammer and grip frame. On the Bisley hammer swap, this isn't an issue because you will have to grind the new hammer anyway and can match it to the original.

Just remembered, the transfer bar is thicker on the NV/50th guns, so you will have to remove a bit off the hammer face to keep it from pinching the transfer bar.

Greebe

Single-Sixer
Hmmm... So basically you are just stuck with the parts that are made for the New Vaquero. That is one thing that I like about the Blackhawk line is that there is so much things you can do to them because of the interchangeable parts.

Well..... now what? I like the fact that the New Vaquero has the proper chamber indexing, and a smaller frame, but I would like to be able to put a Super Blackhawk hammer and maybe a Birdshead Grip.

Tek--

So the parts can be made to fit but they just aren't interchangeable. As long the SBH doesn't mess things up, with a little modification it could be made to work, eh?

Could you post any pic's of yours?

Thanks guys,
Greebe

gak

Buckeye
As the one poster indicated, parts between the mid-frame models should interchange for the most part. That means that the Montado hammmer--which has the approximate same profile as the SBH hammer (but different cross hatching) should fit. Ditto, the NV Bisley hammer AND, I believe, barrels from the large-frame BH and Vaquero line should fit. Someone else can correct me here. Prior to Ruger coming out with the NV Bisley this year, transplant (and yes fitting) by 'smiths of the SBH and large-frame Bisley--and in some cases large Vaquero--hammers was (and is still) a popular option on custom builds.
EDIT: There have also been some limited run "SASS" (and maybe other) Davidson type runs of New Vaqueros with the lower profile hammer from (or very similar to) the large-frame Vaquero.

tek4260

Buckeye
101_0949.jpg

101_0945.jpg

101_0363.jpg

The SBH is drop in but it will leave a small gap at the rear of the hammer where it meets the grip frame. The first pic shows the difference in the "humps" of hammers. Biggest is the NV, next is a 50th 44, and the smallest one is a regular Blackhawk. The next pic is of a Bisley in a 50th 44. While not a drop in, it is simple to reshape the hammer to fit the grip frame using the old hammer as a guide to scribe the Bisley hammer. Then simply grind and polish. The last pic is my New Vaquero 45 with a SBH hammer. With this hammer, I have "clicks" from both the pawl and the freespin pawl, so apparently the location of the hole for the pawl is slightly off from the New Vaquero hammer. I have several other SBH hammers and have not tried another. It may be just manufacturing tolerance from hammer to hammer and not a difference. It doesn't affect timing. I have checked with a sharp cornered range rod. One that if there is misalignment will stop rather than moving the cylinder into alignment.

Greebe

Single-Sixer
Cool thanks for talking the time to take those pictures. That does help.

Ok. So I think I will go ahead and place an order for one of the New Vaqueros in .45Colt.

As was mentioned, the Montado hammer would fit and it is the same profile as the SBH hammer. I guess it has a cross hatching instead of the regular single cut serrations. That might be somthing to look at as well.

If I don't like the Montado, I think dropping in a SBH will be my next try. If the little gap at the grip frame bothers me I can always TIG weld it up with a filler rod and reshape.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Greebe

gak

Buckeye
Keep in mind if you get/have a blued NV, currently Montados are only polished stainless, which means there probably are no blue'd ("in the white") hammers out there to mess with.

Greebe

Single-Sixer
So noted. I was actually planning on a stainless model though. I plan on using this as a carry gun when out in the woods so I think the SS will fit my needs better. I like my SS Blackhawks as I never have to worry about them.

Greebe

gak

Buckeye
Greebe, although some have expressed they like the feel or purchase of the SBH's hatching pattern better, the Montado's really does sound like the simplest route if you can find one.

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
Waitasec. If you put a free-spin pawl in a NewVaq, you screwed up. Bigtime.

To free-spin a mid-frame Ruger (NewVaq, Montado, the new 44Spl or the 50th 357 Blackhawk) you need a small hex key, preferrably the ball-end type. Unload the gun, cock it, look into the rear of the frame underneath the transfer bar. You'll find a small hex-head set screw. Pull that, pull the spring and plunger underneath.

You just free-spun it, by removing the bump-stop that works against the cylinder ratchet. The cylinder will now spin both directions more or less silently (at least quieter) when the loading gate is open.

That thing is where the extra clicks are coming from.

Bonus: if you shoot a LOT, there's some indications the plunger now removed was slowly eating the cylinder ratchet teeth. It's gone now :).

~~~

Hammers and triggers are fully swappable. Base pins and cylinders are not.

~~~

Grip frames are swappable. But if you put in a grip frame that originally lacked a keylock, you have to score the longer type of mainspring and mainspring strut, and obtain a "keeper" that does what the NewVaq lock did. These are all easily available as stock parts, or go for Wes Fargo's complete setup including a competition mainspring and an adjustable hammer overtravel stop for $55:

http://cas-town.com/WestFargoGunsmith/parts.html