Why the 6.5 Creedmoor?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ndcowboy

Blackhawk
picketpin said:
How does that tell you anything??? How do "comparing" the two using different bullets of different weights and different speeds??

If you are going to compare the 6.5 Creedmore then use the same information and the other 6.5s. I own one rifle in 6.5 Creedmore a #1 "V". It will NOT shoot anu bullet other than light for caliber as fast as my #1S in 264 Win Mag. It might be "better" bore balanced but if reasonable recoil, high velocity and impact on big game I'll stick to my 264 Min Mag.

There is nothing WRONG with the Creedmore BUT it's sole advantage is it can be fired in an AR. Not being a BLACK rifle guy it simply has no particular use in MY battery.

When comparing the newest, great, fastes etc most people fail to add/subtract the 150 fps+ tha can be documented just between a "fast" barrel and a "slow" barrel using with everything equal other than the actual bore of the barrel.

As for the longer neck, ok fine but how and if you can actually use all of it is dictated by OAL based on the magazine and the throat in an individual rifle. Throated long the the bullet will have to be seated out. So length has more to do with grip as opposed to actual placement in the chamber. Any issue can/is negated by inline seating the bullet.

IMHO only it's marketing and this one will probably survive longer than many of ten years ago crop of NEW cartridges most of which are now gone, simply because it'll work in an AR and thus others have hopped on the band wagon to sell more rifles.

RWT

t

If you are comparing a .264 Win Mag to a 6.5 Creedmoor, you can't discount the recoil difference.

A 140 grain bullet @3200 fps out of a .264 is over 19 ft/pounds of recoil.
A 140 grain bullet @2850 fps out of a 6.5 is about 13 ft/pounds of recoil.
Both of these are calculated out of an 8.5 pound rifle. That is a significant amount of difference if you are shooting multiple rounds.

East of the Rio Grande and South of the Canadian
Second Question. Had been watching the Ruger Scout rifle for over a year and when I saw one in 6.5 Creedmoor I checked the bank balance and put the money on the counter. I had a 300 short magnum in a Browning rifle and never liked anything about it except the short action, so the Creedmoor was the opportunity to have a hunting rifle in 6.5 and a short action. Working up the 6.5 was not a problem as I had on hand several bullets and powder selections as I had built a 6.5 06 on a Mauser action and a Shilden barrel. That rifle is a bench queen and still needs a scope that pushes the ability of the rifle. Set the Ruger scout rifle up with a 2x scope in the scout position and started working up loads. The scout is easier to shoot than the 6.5 06 and has been much easier to hand load for. I knew the ability of the bullets and realized the scope was limiting the ability of the Ruger. With a 2016 deer hunt coming up, I swapped the 2X for a Burris variable 1.5-7, zeroed the new optics with 142 grain bullets and went hunting. At about 200 yards the west Texas deer dropped at a solid hit and we have enjoyed venison this spring and summer. Changes I have made to the rifle before the hunt were replacing the military flash hider with a STD (Simple Threaded Device) flash suppressor to protect the threads, changing the lightweight digital stock with a Ruger laminated stock, purchasing and using a 5 round mag and adding a basic sling. I could have purchased any Ruger rifle in the 6.5 Crdm, but the scout just looked like fun. As for the 2x scope, it sets on a S&W 22 rimfire auto pistol and is a hoot to shoot.

Looking for an extended magazine release for the scout, anyone have one or know of one being made?