Why is Ruger bluing black?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ditto1958

Blackhawk
Why do you suppose that Ruger's factory bluing is not blue? As far as I can tell, even old blued Ruger guns are black. My new to me 1957 Single-Six has a plum frame, but the barrel is black. One of my 10/22's has an almost gray looking barrel. But none of my Ruger's have any blue in the bluing.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Changes in modern bluing solutions/methods: more durable, less labor intensive, and more black than blue.
Many other brands are as well.

My OM Rugers are blackish as well but definitely bluer than current production. Both products of modern, but different bluing processes. Install a NM steel grip frame on an OM, and it becomes very apparent that they're different.

OMs that are black like NMs are generally re-finished, especially when done by the factory.

To get true old world bluing you must use old world (and more expensive) bluing methods like rust bluing.

CraigC

Hawkeye
Most modern hot salt blue is black. Even Colt's "Royal Blue" is black as the ace of spades.

Turnbull's carbona blue is the finish of the pre-war Colt's and is bluish in color. It's also more durable than modern hot salt blue.

IMG_8892b.jpg

IMG_2324b.jpg

IMG_2980b.jpg

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Craig,

You always show some of the handsomest of revolvers! Of these shown here, I'm going with that Uberti, as I have a penchant for the color case hardening on Single Action frames.

Now if you could just find a source of holsters for those sixguns.....................

Bob Wright

Heck Thomas

Bearcat
Bob, you are a sly dog!

Craig, I love the Carbona Blue, too. Will you be back in the holster business for the coming year?

modrifle3

Buckeye
It not really bluing ... It's a black oxide finish. The type of salt you use determines the color as well as material. It you look at a lot of older Rugers the finish is plum and due largely to the material. You can black oxide most steels and get a uniform color. Not true with bluing as it was in the old days.

If I am wrong please correct me and educate me as this is how it was explained to me.

chet15

Hawkeye
I always thought of the original Ruger bluing as being a shade of gray. And today's guns are definitely black.
When somebody says "blue" I think of the niter bluing you see on the screw heads of original Colts.
If I remember right Ruger had to change their bluing process (chemicals used) because of water quality concerns.
Chet15