SR-556 piston drive takedown model

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Just received above mentioned ar, took it out to do some lead slinging and realized the bolt wouldn't close all the way and puts the firearm out of battery. After further investigation, I found that the problem is that the bullet won't seat all the way in the chamber. Called the dealer I bought it from and he said the gun was from an estate sale, there were 2, and neither had been shot very many times. After inspecting myself, it seems what he was saying was true. The rifle didn't look like it had sent very many rounds down range. Does anyone have an idea as to what my problem may be? Do I need to send it to Ruger? I have a buddy who's a machinist and actually builds ar's and 1911, gonna have him take a look see and hope he can work some magic. If anyone has any insight on the situation I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. TRUMP 2024

krw

Blackhawk
Will the bolt close completely, go to battery and let the hammer fall on an empty chamber?? Are you using factory ammo?? If so change ammo. If you can measure length to the ogive of bullet. If your Buddy puts them together, He can figger the problem out

Up front I don't 'build AR's", I assemble a box of parts into a working firearm. That said, STOP trying to make this rifle work by attempting to chamber live rounds into a functioning rifle. Separate the 'upper', clamp in a vise, and try moving the bolt into/out of battery by hand. I have no idea of the workings of the SR-556 but quite familiar with a OEM AR and can assure you'll learn more (and safer) by doing this.
Possible causes of the general issue you describe:
1: foreign material lodged in chamber
2: seizing/binding of bolt carrier and associated parts
3: out of spec ammo(mentioned above-try different factory load ammo)
4: out of spec chamber or bolt face
When addressing similar complaints I've found the following items in the suspect rifle's chamber: cleaning patches, squashed ejector spring(don't know where the ejector went), the neck of a previously fired case, and a bullet stuck in the throat(pulled from the case as the unfired round was extracted).

DGW1949

Hunter
An AR that won't reliably chamber a round?....say it ain't so..LOL.

Sorry if my comment offended anyone's sensibilities about the platform, but after 60 years of designers trying to fix that very problem, I couldn't help myself....Anyhow, like the man said, send it back to Ruger. They are real good at solving problems.

DGW

Attachments

• IMAG0145.jpg
    IMAG0145.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMAG0300.jpg
    IMAG0300.jpg
    342.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMAG0246.jpg
    IMAG0246.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMAG0161.jpg
    IMAG0161.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 45
  • IMAG0303.jpg
    IMAG0303.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 44
  • IMAG0121.jpg
    IMAG0121.jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMAG0139-1.jpg
    IMAG0139-1.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMAG0245.jpg
    IMAG0245.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20230224_103214155~3.jpg
    IMG_20230224_103214155~3.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 44
  • IMAG0421.jpg
    IMAG0421.jpg
    314.6 KB · Views: 44

hittman

Staff member
I only asked because I learned a couple of lessons from friends who found out things the hard way.

One bought a PTR in 308. He didn't know there was any difference in 308 ammo so …. Found out the hard way 308 Winchester is different.

Another friend bought a used AR15 and discovered it had been re-barreled.

Up front I don't 'build AR's", I assemble a box of parts into a working firearm. That said, STOP trying to make this rifle work by attempting to chamber live rounds into a functioning rifle. Separate the 'upper', clamp in a vise, and try moving the bolt into/out of battery by hand. I have no idea of the workings of the SR-556 but quite familiar with a OEM AR and can assure you'll learn more (and safer) by doing this.
Possible causes of the general issue you describe:
1: foreign material lodged in chamber
2: seizing/binding of bolt carrier and associated parts
3: out of spec ammo(mentioned above-try different factory load ammo)
4: out of spec chamber or bolt face
When addressing similar complaints I've found the following items in the suspect rifle's chamber: cleaning patches, squashed ejector spring(don't know where the ejector went), the neck of a previously fired case, and a bullet stuck in the throat(pulled from the case as the unfired round was extracted).
Hey thanks for the info, I have in taken the upper off and put in a vise. Can't see anything in the chamber and I've tried different factory rounds. Pretty sure it isn't the bolt face but I may have another piston drive bolt that I can put in just to check and make sure. If that doesn't work I'll send it back to ruger.

krw

Blackhawk
I only asked because I learned a couple of lessons from friends who found out things the hard way.

One bought a PTR in 308. He didn't know there was any difference in 308 ammo so …. Found out the hard way 308 Winchester is different.

Another friend bought a used AR15 and discovered it had been re-barreled.
How is winchester ammo diff in 308🧐🧐??

Just to show how easily a mistake can be made: I'll admit my parts storage could use a serious upgrade(keep this in mind). I 'accumulate' parts year round and during bad weather period, I assemble parts. Most parts are tossed into boxes during the accumulation period with no real order but grouped by sub-assembly.
One day I picked up an assembled upper to use for testing my resized brass and found it wouldn't extract the case from chamber. After several attempts to adjust the die, I removed the BCG and instantly understood the problem. The boltface was for 7.62x39 and the barrel was 5.56/223. DUH!!! The bolt closed and went into battery far enough for the FP to reach the primer so I'm guessing this combo would have fired a cartridge. What happened next might not have been all that great.
Maybe this little admission of failure to check everything will help someone else prevent a serious incident. LEGO guns are great but don't mix parts of a JEDI and a WOOKIE.

Latest posts