Squib

Help Support Ruger Forum:

"A few weeks later I posted about it and someone said that it sounded like a case with no flash hole and that he had heard that there had been several lately."
I have a virgin Hornady 6.5Creedmoor case on the shelf above my loading bench. There is no flash hole. OOPS at least it didn't make it through the loading process.

Fredo

Bearcat
Not a squib, but don't know what to call it.

I was shooting at a range and fired a round that sounded and felt just like a squib. I was shooting a G17 and the slide wouldn't budge no matter how hard I pulled.

I was able to pull the slide lock with some difficulty and remove the slide from the frame. The barrel was still jammed and I couldn't remove it from the slide. I could see a gap about <1/16" between the case head and the breach face and the extractor claw had gouged the rim and was lodged about about half way into the edge of the case rim. I believe that this caused a lot of friction between the primer and the breach face preventing the barrel from unlocking from the slide.

I ended up putting the slide in a vice and using a dowel to drive the barrel down and it came away from the frame. The cartridge came out of the chamber and still had the bullet in the original position. I checked the extractor and firing pin. Everything looked fine so I reassembled the gun and kept shooting.

A few weeks later I posted about it and someone said that it sounded like a case with no flash hole and that he had heard that there had been several lately.

I had kept the round as a souvenir of sorts, so I put it in the bullet puller, knocked the round out and found that it had a powder charge, and also no flash hole as suggested.

I hope to never have anything like that happen with premium self defense rounds because if it had happened in that scenario the only backup would have been a second gun.

As far as squibs go, I inherited a Colt Model 1903 from my Dad. While cleaning it, I noticed a bulge in the barrel and asked him about it. He thought I did something to it, but I just noticed it when I got back from shooting it. Years later he told me about a time when he and a friend were shooting some old ammo out of it and and had a round where the bullet got stuck in the barrel. They didn't have anything to push it out with so my Dad was going to take it home to take care of it. His friend said, "I can get it out." He took the gun from him, loaded a round and fired it. It cleared the barrel and they kept on shooting it. I told him that was what bulged the barrel and they were lucky nothing worse happened. He didn't know much about firearms and only had the gun because it was found after his father died.

Lucky for me, US Armament re-released the Model 1903 in 2015 and new parts were available. I purchased some springs and a new barrel and it is good as new... at least for a 108 year old gun.
I appreciate your reply and I enjoyed reading your account

Mike J

Hunter
I encountered one once. I had went to see a friend & we had been shooting on his rifle range with his neighbor, the neighbor's wife & one of my daughters. I said something about handguns & the neighbor took off & then returned with the back of his ATV full of handguns for us to shoot. Pretty cool. I got to shoot his new Colt Python, a 38 super & 45 acp Colt Gold Cup, Belgian made Browning High Power & his 9mm race gun that had been custom built on a Caspian frame. When I was shooting the .38 super Gold Cup we had a squib. He said he had been teaching someone to reload & had let them load some rounds for it. It was caught before it was a problem but could have been bad. I have never encountered one with factory ammo.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I've recently had two squibs from the same lot of Federal Champion target 22 ammo. 2 stuck in the barrel but also have had multiple rounds with little to no report that the bullets left the barrel but didn't hit the target. Needless to say I'm not shooting any more of the ammo from that lot.

Two weeks in amd Federal still hasn't called me back though they said they'd be right on it.

'I presume this "flash hole in the case" y'all are talking about is in the primer?'
Correct. The 'flash hole' (between primer pocket and case interior) is where primer flash passes into the powder charge.

althor

Bearcat
I presume this "flash hole in the case" y'all are talking about is in the primer? These are just terms I've never heard of... I don't reload.
The flash hole is supposed to be in the case between the primer pocket and the main side where the powder is. You can also see that the primer and case were being pushed apart with enough force to partially press the case past the chamber into the barrel (see below). You can also see where the extractor deformed the case rim.

Attachments

• 20240324_150743.jpg
    20240324_150743.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240324_145845.jpg
    20240324_145845.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

OMCHamlin

Single-Sixer
I'm a new shooter and I've read some scary things about squibs. How rare is it for that to happen?
Well, I can say that it happened to me, many years ago, and caused me to ring the barrel in a S&W Model 14, during a busy stage on a noisy firing line. I actually did NOT notice it at all until I was cleaning the bore with a snug jag and patch (that is, until it hit that "ring"…

Latest posts