Smith Model 48

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I pulled this out to wipe it down and thought I'd share a couple of photos. Don't seem to see many of these around anymore.

Fun to shoot and accurate, but my other rimfire revolvers get more use than this one.

Snake45

Hawkeye
I've seen darn few 48s, but I don't think I've EVER seen one in 8 3/8" before.

There were a number of the 8 3/8s around when they first came out, but I think most people using a .22 Mag don't want to go to the trouble of carrying it in a shoulder holster, and with mine, that's about the only practical way. I actually shoot and carry my 4" 651 more for that reason.

But K-frame .22s ARE pretty fine! I've blown up a few ground squirrels with mine.

Thanks! This one isn't perfect, but it's pretty nice. Probably came originally with Magna grips, but these targets are just right for me. As noted, this barrel length isn't very carry friendly, but it sure makes it a nice accurate shooting iron!

Dave H

Bearcat
A 48 is on my "list." I'm sorry to say that I've had the opportunity to buy several nice ones over the last 20 or so years, and even went so far as to put a couple in the layaway box. But in the end, something else always walked in that I thought i wanted more and a 48 never made its way home. Now, my LGS has changed hands, my friend and former owner has retired, and the new owner doesn't fancy the old "good" stuff. My opportunities don't come around nearly as often as they did. That's a nice revolver. I'm jealous.

pete44ru

Hunter

Very nice !

Once upon a time, I built a mahogany case to house two complimentary S&W's I had - 8-3/8" Model(s) 29 & 48.

I also installed a matching set of checkered rosewood classic grips from Eagle Arms on both revolvers

sw-n-frame-square-butt-genuine-rosewood-heritage-grips-smooth.jpg

The concept of a .22/.44 cased set intrigued me, so I made the case look factory, complete with a blue velvet interior that looked identical to the interior of S&W presentation cases of the day.

I no longer have those guns, but the case looked a lot like this one, built larger to accommodate both revolvers & accessories:

SW29-244Mag001.jpg

Alabama, in the bend of the Tennessee River
Very nice. I have a 4-screw model 48" 6". Great shooters. The one I have, I actually thought was an 8 3/8" when I bought it. I purchased it online on S&W forum, and the weather the guy had made the pictures on an angle made it look like it was a long-haired. When it got here, it was a 6". I was still happy with it.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
I have a few K-frame rimfires, and that one would be welcome in the stable. Nice job keeping it like new!

The power of a 22 rifle in a revolver. I'd invest in a slung holster and stroll into the squirrel woods with that one, any fine morning!