RUGER'S FIBER OPTIC FRONT SIGHT

Help Support Ruger Forum:

wapiti22

Blackhawk
Has anyone purchased the green Fiber Optic sight Ruger sells and installed it yourself? Do you like it? How was the installation, etc.

dlidster

Single-Sixer
I installed one. But I should make it clear that I have done this many times before and have a shop full of gunsmith-specific tools and jigs that I've acquired over the past 50+ years.
The sight is not a "drop-in" fit and this is not a do-it-yourself job for the average gun owner. If you have any doubts, pay to have it done by an experienced gunsmith. Or, send your slide to Ruger to have the work done.

I like fiber optic sights and this one is good. POI, for me, was unchanged from that of the original sight. My original sight, which was in the heavily-used SR1911 for more than two years, never broke.

bigboredad

Blackhawk
I should have let ruger do mine after the Commander sight broke off but I was to impatient. I was going to change both my govt and comm. Anyway so when it broke I was able to get 2 fiber optics and talk Ruger into 2nd day air anyway I love mine and yes the slide was machined. There are other sights that are a drop in but for me I'm beyond happy with the sights and wantfiber optics on all my pistols now. For me I would have paid for them but lucked out and the right broke off. YMMV

dlidster

Single-Sixer
wapiti22 said:
Did it require milling the slide?
There's no way I'd mill the slide to fit a $30 part. I milled a hair off the bottom of the sight -- there is enough metal to do it properly. The fit is perfect.

wilkoi

Bearcat
I have one on my SR1911, done by a gun smith as I do not have the tools. I am not happy with it as it does not pop out at you the way I expected and is not very bright. Perhaps someone can recommend a better front sight or combination of both sights. My aging eyes aint what they used to be.

Triton

Bearcat
wilkoi said:
I have one on my SR1911, done by a gun smith as I do not have the tools. I am not happy with it as it does not pop out at you the way I expected and is not very bright. Perhaps someone can recommend a better front sight or combination of both sights. My aging eyes aint what they used to be.

Take a look at Anderson sights. Ruger puts them on their single tens, its real nice and bright.

XDM4545

Bearcat
I have one on my SR1911. I had mine installed by a smith, he said minor fitting of the sight was needed.
I also think the green does not stand out as much as red would, but green is better in low light like shooting indoors. I think I will change the fiber optic element to red and see how that looks.