Ruger American go wild 308 Bolt issues

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Starky

Bearcat
Hi all

Got to sight rifle today. Had some issues with the bolt engaging and found it very tight when loading into chamber and getting the bolt down in to shoot position. After some tips from the range officer we put some oil on the bolt and when you make the action a more positive action it worked better and is getting earlier to action. I've just unpacked and noticed the plastic shroud on the bolt appears loose. This is the rifles first shoot.

Does this seem normal or possible issue? Any positive information would be appreciated. Cheers Nicko
IMG_6261.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6260.mov
    16.2 MB
  • IMG_6259.mov
    5.2 MB
I shot my new 6.5 Grendel American a couple weeks back. Lubed the bolt lugs, ejector, cocking ramp, and whatever else a squirt of oil into the rear of the bolt might have reached. Function is not terrible although I did have to try a different magazine before conquering the fail to feed issue. Accuracy reached an acceptable level after most of the bore slivers and gnarlies were removed by bullet passage.
Consider that this is a price point rifle w/o much hand polishing or fitting. A portion of the $$ saved at the retail counter will most likely to be spent on break in and smoothing of parts during initial use.
That said, I'll take a rough, crunchy action as long as the barrel is good.