Removing a Blackawk barrel, how hard can it be??

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Three50seven

Buckeye
I'm sure there is someone here who has removed a barrel from a blackhawk and installed a new one themselves...how difficult is it? I have a 6.5" gun and a 4 5/8" take-off barrel on the way. I would prefer to do the switch myself if at all practical. I assume the ERH will not work with the shorter barrel, correct? Other than that, are there any other issues that are likely to arise?

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
NOT difficult IF you know what you are doing.
The ERH's are all interchangable considering there are tolerances for everything manufactured.
DO NOT count on the replacemeent BBL lining up tight with the front sight perfectly verticle.
And so it goes...

Three50seven

Buckeye
Wil-
Is there anything that can be done about the font sight lining up? or will it most likely have to be removed and realigned?

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
NO! You must fit the BBL to each pistol, usually. IF the BBl is short of lining up you relieve it's shoulder so it screws in SLIGHTLY more. IF it goes too far you hafta take it all the way around, line it up as noted, then trim the BBL at the forcing cone until the cylinder slips in with .003-005" B/C gap, give or take the odd furlong.

and don't forget once you start to "setting back" the barrel, you now have to refit the ejector housing to fit the "Moved back hole"............. 8) :roll: :wink:

( make sure you have and use the proper barrel vise and frame wrench so as to NOT crack, break or bend the cylinder frame..........) :shock:

you will not be the first to have this happen...................... :mrgreen:

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
Not a difficult task at all with the know how and proper tools. Now if you buy an action wrench and the adaptor blocks to fit the large frame Ruger, barrel vise and
Rosin, lathe and tooling to set the barrel back without thread choke and the rest of the odds and ends you need to adjust and fit like micrometers,range rods,forcing cone cutter and basic hand tools. It may be better to just let a gunsmith do it.

Chuck 100 yd said:
Not a difficult task at all with the know how and proper tools. Now if you buy an action wrench and the adaptor blocks to fit the large frame Ruger, barrel vise and
Rosin, lathe and tooling to set the barrel back without thread choke and the rest of the odds and ends you need to adjust and fit like micrometers,range rods,forcing cone cutter and basic hand tools. It may be better to just let a gunsmith do it.

.......a wise man 8)

Sharps40

Buckeye
Cut off the 6.5 to 4 5/8, square, crown and chamfer circumference and have some one of skill solder the front sight back on the shortened barrel. The cutting and squaring and chamfering can be done very workman like with inexpensive piloted hand tools that you can sell later to recoup most of your investment or trade em to the smith for some fancy sight work.

Only draw back is if it has the super long book on the 6.5" barrel ya might loose some lettering it the roll mark is further forward than it would be on a shorter barrel.

Three50seven

Buckeye
Chuck 100 yd said:
It may be better to just let a gunsmith do it.

Kind of what I'm starting to think...

I was also lucky enough to snag a SBH hammer from Midway earlier today that will be going on this same gun! Now I just need to find a competent local smith...

Latest posts