Question about nomenclature

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I posted this in the Lounge but thought I might possibly get an answer here. The post about Ruger letters had me look at my folder with all my letters and I noticed something unusual. We all know that the Super Bearcats started with the 91- prefix. I then noticed that one letter for a Bearcat SN: 93-02*** said: " ....regarding your Ruger New Bearcat ....". The next letter was for a Bearcat SN: 93-47*** said: "...regarding your Ruger New Super Bearcat....". I wasn't aware there was a New and a New Super designation. Some letters say Super and some do not. Is there some difference that I am unaware of?

whats it say on the cylinder frame of YOUR "New Ruger Bearcat"??? Im too lazy to sneak in my wifes stash of Bearcats....seems like that would be a LOT of rollmarking to say all that " Ruger New Model Super Bearcat" picture please???:sneaky:

...my guess just a 'typo'........:cool:

All the 93-**** frames simple state "Ruger NEW Bearcat" on the left side. The Serial numbered 91-***** series Super Bearcats have no frame markings except the serial number and "Ruger Bearcat' on the cylinder. We call them 'super' but it isn't actually marked on the gun anywhere. My basic question is is there a 'Super' classification on some New Models and not others; and if so what makes them different?

well the "Supers" of old ( the 91 prefix) were the steel framed, versus the alloy "Bearcat" one piece grip& Cylinder frame, and then 20 year later the "#93 prefix guns come out , "steel' frames NOT LW alloy....the catalog number remained the same "SBC" or the new "stainless " ones, with the KSBC...........no more LW alloy version
S0like noted above just HOW are the letter writers actually calling it???each to their own?? nomenclature, semantics, the wonders of the English language,,,,above MY paygrade..........Chad where are you ??:cool::rolleyes:;)

The LOA letters are at the mercy to the person/s that write them. One of my pet peeves is nomenclature with the 2, 3 digit and very early 4 digit pistols that predate the Mark I. The LOA will say "Our recorders indicate the "Ruger Standard pistol... …produced in Oct 1949" and "The pistol is designated as model Standard". There were no models listed or called "Standard" at the time they were produced. The first manual refers to them as "Instruction Sheet For The Ruger Pistol". All other manuals will call them Standard and Mark I throughout the rest of this series. Also at some point (1954-55) the LOA will start stating "The pistol is designated as model RST-4 or 6" as the designation model.

Personally I think these early pistols (pre Mark I) should be referenced simply as "Ruger Automatic Pistol" in the LOA.

D2B92AF0-EAEB-44EE-A585-B7B0852A721C.jpeg

Last edited:

chet15

Hawkeye
All but about the last 30 of the original 93- Super Bearcat Convertibles did not have a frame marking.
Toward the end of the production of the convertible, Ruger decided to send writers an example for testing. These convertibles have "RUGER NEW BEARCAT" on the left side of the cylinder frame.
And of course, all New Bearcats made after that are also marked "RUGER NEW BEARCAT".
Something else of note I bet not many folks noticed with the Convertible bearcats. None of the first production have the protrusion at the top of the loading gate like later production New Bearcats. On the later Bearcats that gate protrusion fits into a corresponding void within the top of the loading gate cutout.
Chet15