Opinions on a pair of consecutive serial number Vaqueros?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hankus

Blackhawk
Good morning all. I ran across this pair of beautiful consecutive serial numbered Vaqueros at a gun show last weekend. I didn't make it until right at the end of the show so I didn't get much of a chance to talk to the seller. I did find out that he just has the guns as is with no boxes or original grips, etc., just the stag grips in the photo. I'm going to a show today from the same sponsor and these still might be available. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_6108.jpeg
    IMG_6108.jpeg
    475.3 KB · Views: 133
they look pretty nice but being "new models"( Orig Vaquero or New Vaquero) they are what they are, and as I always say, tell folks,"its a sum of the total of the parts" or in this case, the lack of the original grips as well as the packaging,boxes and shippers, do the math...as for stag grips, new model, no medallions and their value is anywhere from $75 to $250 a pair when you look around....I've bought and sold them new ones for that...again NICE guns if YOU like them , thats all that matters and obviously if the price is right, proper.......
and if its a GOOD "deal" you can always use them, enjoy them, and get your money back later on....:cool::rolleyes:;)

want to add, I was able to zoom in on the price tags, and to ME , thats TOO much........:unsure:

Sacramento Johnson

Blackhawk
I agree, too much money for them. The stag grips look pretty rough and I suspect would be uncomfortable to shoot with anything more than a very light load. Ask what the price would be without those grips.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Yeah they're top dollar but not outrageous. Some people will but I'd never pay more for consecutively numbered guns.
And those haven't been made for 18 years and look like new. The 58 prefix means they were made in 2003 so they're original Vaqueros made on the large frame. Too heavy for the caliber but you can safely shoot Ruger-only hot 45 loads. I much prefer the NEW Vaqueros made on the mid-frame.

The grips will re-sell easily, $250/pair or more minimum. That's the real McCoy; India Sambar Stag, hard to find. I always complete the finishing; sacrifice some of the bark for better hand fitting and more comfortable under heavy recoil.

Remember Gun show rule #1: the sting of the price goes away a lot faster than the regret of not buying them which lasts forever!

Last edited:

Rclark

Hunter
As above consecutive #s means nothing to me, nor do boxes, papers, etc. Interesting that they don't appear to have been holstered or used much if any, yet have custom grip panels.... Go figure. I like the case coloring. All said, I'd only be interested in 'one' of them. At $900, that seems a bit steep. But they aren't made any more, and cost of revolvers has sky rocketed. So maybe not as bad as 'I' like to think. Then again I already have one, so looking at it from armchair, not as if this was 'this is what I'm exactly looking for!!!! Gotta have it mentality" . Goes back to "if the buyer is happy and the seller is happy ... all good" no matter what the price.

hittman

Staff member
I'm in the minority here but to me ….. the grips are HIDEOUS. Never been a "stag" fan and those look not only very rough in texture but HUGE.

What caliber would the guns be? 45 Colt? 44 Mag?

I like stag grips on a blue revolver, but those look kind of crudely made and finished. To me, the guns are worth around $100-150 less than the $900 asking price.

hittman

Staff member
Probably offend him but I'd think $1200 for the pair and he can keep the grips.

Latest posts